Chapter 19

Ever since I found out about my mom, I have had Jackson's shoulder to cry on. He has tried his best to comfort me and I am so thankful for his support but when he tells me he can't stay at the hospital, I'm glad. This time is about my mother and I don't want the attention to be aimed at him. Plus, I'd rather not have Danielle around him. She knew about my feelings for Liam but that didn't stop her. I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I can't help it.

After checking my text messages for the room number, I make my way up to room 369. But when I get there, I find an empty room. I stop a passing nurse immediately. "Excuse me. My mother was in the room yesterday. Could you tell me where she is?"

He nods. "Of course. She was moved into one of the suites on the next level up. See one of the nurses upstairs and they can give you a room number."

After thanking him I take the elevator up to the next floor. The nurse asks me a few questions before taking me to my mother's room. She lies on the bed with a few wires attached to her body, her eyes focused on the morning news. "Mom," I cry.

I rush to her and carefully hug her. She pats my back and kisses the top of my head. "I'm fine, sweetie. They've given me some medication and I'm going home tonight."

I wipe away my tears. "I'm so glad. I'm sorry I couldn't be here sooner."

She shakes her head. "Don't be. You have your own life too."

I pull a chair over to the side of her bed and hold her hand with both of mine. "I was out of town with a friend and didn't see the calls and texts until last night. I felt so bad but visiting hours were over so I waited until today. I'm so happy you're okay."

She smiles. "Me too. I told your father I wasn't done irritating him just yet and that he didn't need to worry."

I chuckle. "So why did they switch your room?"

She shrugs. "Someone paid my hospital bill and upgraded me to the suite. And let me tell you, this bed is so comfortable and I get all of the channels on this TV. Plus, the staff are nicer up here."

I bite my lip, having a pretty good idea who paid for the upgrade and hospital fees. There's a knock on the door and a nurse enters with a rolling tray full of delicious breakfast foods. They're all healthy and have large sides of fruit. "Your breakfast, ma'am. Can I get you anything else?"

"No thank you," my mom smiles.

The nurse leaves and she squeezes my hand before pulling her hand away. But before she pulls it away completely, she raises my left hand and stares at it with wide eyes. My ring. "It's just a ring," I say quickly.

"It's beautiful," she smiles. "Must've cost a fortune."

"A small fortune," I chuckle, admiring the ring.

"So who's the lucky man?" she asks.

I bite my lip. "You'll meet him soon. As soon as you get better we can all go out for dinner."

She nods. "So you're engaged?"

"No," I answer quickly. "It's a promise ring. We both know that it's new and that we're head over heels for one another but he wanted to give me reassurance. He has become so important to me in such a little about of time."

She takes a plate off the plate and prepares to eat. "That's how I felt with my first love. We loved each other from the start."

"Dad?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "No, your dad came after that."

I frown. "What happened with the first guy?"

"It was too good to be true," she shrugs.

She begins eating and I decide not to question her about it. We listen to the news until the door opens, revealing Danielle and my father. I stand up and give my dad a hug before allowing him to take my seat. "We were worried," Danielle says. "When we got to the other room you weren't there."

"Someone upgraded me to a suite and paid for my hospital bills. I assumed the upgrade was from Emery but she didn't know about it either," my mom says.

"I'm very thankful," my dad says, holding her hand. "Now we won't have the stress that comes along with these hospital bills."

My mom smiles at him as Danielle sits at the foot of the bed. "We brought you some clothes from home. While you're showering I can talk to the doctor about getting your discharge papers."

"Okay."

I excuse myself from the room but no one seems to notice or care. Whenever Danielle is in the room my parents act like I don't exist. Sitting in the small empty waiting room, I dial Jackson's phone number. After a couple rings, a woman speaks. "Jackson Lancaster's office. This is his assistant Julie speaking. How may I help you?"

I am too surprised to speak for a moment. I was expecting Jackson. "Uh... Where is Jackson?"

"He is in a meeting. Would you like to leave a message?"

"It's not important. I'll just call back later. Thank you."

"You're welcome," she replies sweetly. "Have a nice day."

"Thanks. You too."

Hanging up, I sit there a while longer in hopes of not having to deal with Danielle alone. Thankfully, when I get back to the room my mom is showered, dressed, and is back in bed. I stay with them until the doctor comes in and begins preparing the discharge papers. After kissing them goodbye, I make my way out of the room. Danielle follows me out but I ignore her and quickly get into the elevator. I take a taxi home where I am greeted with silence.

**************************
Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow