Chapter 32

I was disappointed when Jana dropped me off and Bo's truck wasn't there. He had texted me that he might have to go home and see to some things and that he would return as soon as he could.

Talking to Lacey and Laila sure made my day though. I was hanging up my dress and putting away the purchases from the day and decided what I needed more than anything was to roll around on the floor with my babies; and that's exactly what I did!

"There are mama's good girls" I cooed as they both vied for my attention and affection. Laila had no problem with pride as she rolled over onto her back letting me scratch her belly; her back left leg mimicking the motion of her scratching.

Lacey on the other hand just sat patiently waiting for her turn and I made sure I rewarded her patience with extra rubs down her back. And when I was finished with her, she stood up, shook and then sneezed.

I couldn't help busting out laughing and the way she sat there, her ears all perked up, it just made me laugh even more.

"Come on girls; y'all wanna eat?" I asked. Two very vigorous barks followed as both my fur babies showed me where their dishes were. Lord knows I would have never found them if they hadn't shown me the way!

With that chore done I headed outside to see to Thor and my cattle. Tuck had done a damn fine job of seeing to everything and well all I needed to do was to pet and love on Thor; he neighed at me and then nudged my arm.

As I started to head back in I couldn't believe my eyes when Charity pulled into my driveway. I just thought of Jana and took a couple of deep breaths while I approached her.

I could tell from her body language that she was just as apprehensive about getting down as I was about her being here. But I took the high road and plastered a smile on my face that even the Academy Awards would be proud of.

"Hi" she said softly; this was new! "Hey" I said back; the smile still plastered on my lips.

She was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I hated that she felt that and hated it even more that it might be because of me and well my heart just melted as I stepped closer to her.

"I-uh-well shit" she started.

"Charity its okay I'm not gonna bite you; well not this time anyway" I joked out hoping to make her relax; it worked. She broke out with the sweetest laugh. Who would have known?

"Bo and Janna were right about you. You are sweet and you have an amazing sense of humor. Look Mercy Rae I will get straight to it.

I owe you an apology. I grew up with Bo and just like everybody else in this town we all assumed that he and I would end up together.

But anyone can see how you make him feel. He loves you; he really does. And well the whole town knows how you feel about him.

Lord have mercy what I'm tryin to say is that I'm sorry. I know I was a bitch to you and you didn't deserve it; not one bit. You've shown me nothin but kindness and I want you to know that I can be a good friend; if you can ever forgive me."

Well butter my biscuit! I was so shocked at her confession that I must have looked really attractive standing there with my mouth hangin open.

"Well if we're bein honest then yes you were a bitch but Charity we all make mistakes and I am willin to forgive you. It never suited anyone to hold a grudge. It only makes you an uglier person than the one you're pissed at.

Now, Jana said that you have some really great ideas and that I should pay you to do my wedding. What do you say? Would that make you too uncomfortable or feel weird?" I asked.

Grinning she shook her head. "No it wouldn't be weird at all; as a matter of fact that would be fantastic!

By the way, my mama insisted that I pay for the dress. It was really sweet of you to get it for me and I totally love it! It's gonna look really cute with brown boots!" She said excitedly.

I just shook my head. "Charity it was a gift. You're part of the wedding party, girl! You're Walker's girl ain't ya?"

She nodded. "Okay then it's settled. Now, would you like to see the sight of where we want the ceremony?"

Charity was really excited when we reached the clearing. I let her walk around for a moment as she pulled a little notebook and pen from the back pocket of her faded jeans.

"Oh Mercy Rae this is just the perfect spot! What time do you want to do the ceremony?" She asked facing me now.

"Well Bo and I thought maybe right as the sun was goin down; we want to have dinner catered in by Mama Jenkins (she is the owner of the only diner in Canadian; Mama's Diner and she knew my folks well.)

She nodded while jotting some more items down in her notebook and then she turned to me and said "I would like to get some paper lanterns, your colors of pink, and hang them from the trees.

Also, I think some plain white twinkling lights would look good there along that fence. Plus on the outside of the aisles I would like to get some pedestals and put decorated Mason jars with candles inside and smaller bouquets matching yours to hang on the front of the pedestals.

I propose that we could get away with setting up the tables, chairs and everything else for the reception on this side of the barn; keep everything localized to the back here.

Have you thought about your walk down the aisle? If it's not stickin my nose where it doesn't belong I have an idea for that; if you're willin to hear it" she said.

Grinning at her I responded. "I love everything that you have proposed. It's almost exactly what I had imagined anyway. Charity you're a natural at this plannin thing darlin. You should pursue it; really. Now what's your idea about my walk down the aisle?"