Chapter 29

Bo watched Tammi Sue help Mercy Rae to the bathroom so she could shower while the nurses came in to change the bed's sheets. The doctor wanted her to stay one more night and Bo was in complete agreement.

Running his hands through his hair and sighing, Bo never heard Hank or Tuck enter the room until he turned around. Their faces, he was sure, reflected the same tortuous expression; what could have been if Bo hadn't gotten there in time.

Hank spoke first. "I just spoke with your dad. He's got your chores covered and your mom is busy in the kitchen fixin up meals so Mercy Rae doesn't feel like she needs to be in the kitchen. Tuck and I will be over as soon as our chores are done and we'll help with what needs to be done at Circle M."

Bo nodded in thanks and then Tuck spoke up. "The fellas wanna know if y'all need anything and Randy said if you do, give him a holler. We'll figure out who this sumbitch is Bo. You know Earl always gets to the bottom of everything and I swear if it's Mathis..." his strained voice trailed off.

The air was thick with tension as each man fell into their thoughts on how to best take care of their little filly and then once again Hank spoke.

"Speakin of our little filly, she in there?" He asked pointing to the bathroom door. Bo nodded. "Tammi Sue is helpin her clean up and the nurses just came in and changed the sheets. Doc wants her to stay one more night; just to be sure the effects of the drug is out of her system" Bo told the men.

About that time the bathroom door swung open and Mercy Rae walked out, clean and looking damn sure better than hours ago and she was assisted by Tammi Sue. Bo loved that girl like she was his own sister and he was so thankful that Mercy Rae had her to lean on as well.

Bo would forever be rendered speechless by the fresh faced beauty in front of him; she was day after a spring rain, the smell of fresh laundry drying in the sun and the light fragrance of sweet honeysuckle. And now that he had told her he loved her, the images of her being his wife and her belly big and round with their child swam in his head.

He loved the way she still blushed when she caught him stealing glances at her; the slight smile that would grace her beautiful lips. He'd always been raised a religious man, a prayin man but when God brought her to him, he knew prayers most certainly got answered.

Only a blind man would miss what was transpiring between them; it was unspoken and heavy and loving. And they seemed to be the only two in the room until Tuck spoke up and in his comical fashion brought the enchanted bliss to an end.

"Well, are ya just gonna stand there and stare each other to death or are ya gonna kiss her?" God! Bo wanted to kill him right there on the spot but since that wasn't even an alternative, Hank, through some unspoken signal took his hat off and hit Tuck in the gut; silencing him on the spot.

"What?" He asked completely oblivious until Tammi Sue grabbed his arm, chewing him a new one as she pulled him from the room.

Before Bo could say anything Hank had mentioned that his mom would be stopping by with a home cooked meal; she had already cleared it with the doctor and didn't want her son or his girlfriend eating that hospital food.

Hank walked over to Mercy Rae's bedside and kissed her forehead once she had gotten settled. "We'll take care of everything sugar. You just rest and do what doc tells you too and we'll be seein you tomorrow, okay?" The girl nodded, smiled and squeezed his hand.

He watched Hank walk out and then turned to his girl. "I'll be right back, okay?" He said as she responded with a sweet "Okay."

He walked quickly catching up to the older man at the elevator. "Hank, do you have a minute?" Hank stepped back from the elevator and headed towards some chairs outside one of the waiting rooms.

"What's on your mind son?" He asked. Bo had carefully constructed this conversation in his head but now that he was about to deliver it, he found himself nervous but forged ahead; determination in his heart.

"Well since you are more like a father to Mercy Rae than a friend, I wanted to let you know that I have told her I love her." Bo let that portion sink in before he continued.

"She responded in kind. Hank I love her and I can't see a future without her in it. I guess what I am trying to say is I would like your blessing to ask her to marry me." He considered the look on the older man's face as he chewed on what Bo had revealed.

"When are you plannin on askin her son?" Hank inquired. Bo answered him quickly. "As soon as I can get a proper ring; I want to go tomorrow, after she is home. I will take her to Mercy's Hill and ask her and then if she'll have me, we'll get married immediately. I don't see a reason to wait."

Hank rubbed his chin thoughtfully, studying Bo and already knowing the answer to his question; he just liked making the young man sweat a little.

"Seems like you've got this all figured out, son." "Yes sir" Bo replied. "Well I guess I can't do anything other than give you my blessing but you hurt her Bo and you'll answer to me. Understand son?" Hank said.

Bo grinned so much his face started to hurt. "Yes sir I understand and you don't have to worry about me hurtin her. She's too precious." His response seemed to put the man at ease as Hank grabbed Bo in a big bear hug, slapping his back.

Bo felt like such a burden had been lifted as he walked back to his girlfriend's room. As far as the ring was concerned he would talk to his mom and dad about using his grandmother's ring.

As he came closer to the door, he heard his mom and Mercy Rae talking and laughing and it made his heart soar at the sound of her being so carefree.

He wanted her to have that feeling for the rest of her life and it was now his mission to make sure that no harm would ever come to her again. Not while he drew breath.