Chapter 13

(Continuation of chapter 12)

When we finally made it back up to my house, Hank, Sheriff Johnson and Tuck were in my barn, I guess waiting on us.

"We were checkin out the rest of the fence line. Mercy Rae wanted a fresh pair of eyes on it." I had to try really hard not to laugh, but played along with what he said.

"Uh yeah, but everything else looked fine as far as we could tell" I said as Tuck helped me from Bo's horse, then Bo got down and tied Mandy next to Thor.

Earl, Sheriff Johnson, agreed with Hank and everyone else's thoughts on the piece of wire.

"I gotta a friend at Midland PD, in their crime lab, and I'm gonna send it to her.

Maybe she can lift some prints off it and we can see if they can match the prints. I'll let y'all know what is found.

Mercy, you keep Bo, Hank and Tuck close, ya hear? Also, here's my card. You call me if anything seems out of the ordinary." I gave the sheriff a quick hug, along with my thanks.

Tuck took care of Thor for me. He was unsaddled and brushed and he and Mandy seemed to be enjoying each other's company too.

"Darlin I'm worried about you being here by yourself tonight" Hank said, his arm wrapped around my shoulder protectively.

I smiled at his concern and knowing that he loved me like his own child made me feel heaps better.

"I'm actually going to be with Bo tonight. He's taking me on a date. But I am worried about the girls though. I hadn't thought about them" I said, voicing my concern.

"I'll stay at the house tonight, Merc. Lacey and Laila will be just fine. No worries" Tuck said. Oh I could just kiss him!

"You're the best big brother!" I gushed, hugging his neck. I loved watching his ears turn red when he got embarrassed.

I told Tuck that I would be leaving at five and he promised to be here at five sharp. I thanked him again and watched him and his father leave.

Bo and I walked into my kitchen, where he was greeted excitedly by my girls and it did my heart good watching him love on them.

Mama always told me that you could tell a lot by a man on how he treated his mama, sister, animals or any other females and Bo was the best of the best as far as I was concerned.

I walked into my bathroom for some Advil and when I walked back in and saw Bo, the man of my dreams, rolling around with Lacey and Laila on the floor, I died and went to heaven.

"Be still my heart" I said dramatically, getting a laugh from Bo. "Really?" He asked. "I thought all it took to stop your heart was my kiss."

I popped the Advil and swigged it down with a bottle of water, smiling at him and his comment.

Leaning up against my kitchen counter, I put my finger out for him to come to me and when I watched him get off that old, faded carpet, he did it again. He made my heart stop.

Pretty soon we were involved in a heavy session of kissing and I had to admit that my lips were puffy, swollen and sore...but in a very good way.