Chapter 25

Bo was grateful for Hank finding the proper ranch for Mercy Rae to get her beef from. A lot of ranchers were above board and honest but there were a few who only looked for easy marks; take the money and run. But his Mercy was too smart for that but just the same he was thankful for Hank and Tuck.

The rancher that owned the Double J was JR Thompson and his ranch had been in the family for decades; they knew everything about livestock and Mercy Rae was already asking the right questions.

"Now darlin since you are just startin out, you wanna stick with an easy breed of cattle and that would be Angus. I've got three bulls and three heifers that are ready for sale right now. Let's go see them" JR said as Mercy nodded and they all followed the man out to a vast pasture.

The man spoke about what kind of land she would need to sustain the cattle; how she needed to take care of it etc. "It can be the difference between happy beef and pissy beef" he said as the group laughed. Then Hank weighed in.

"Mercy's got some of the best land in Canadian. Her daddy saw to that and she knows how to keep it taken care of." Mercy smiled at Hank's words as JR continued.

"Here we are" JR said motioning to a smaller pen and it contained what looked like the cattle she would be purchasing.

"Oh my they are gorgeous creatures" she said softly and she was right. They were as black as night but their bodies shimmered like black satin. Bo watched her reach her hand to the heifer and watched the animal rub her hand in return; she wanted to be touched.

Mercy Rae giggled as the creature's long tongue came out for a quick lick. The other heifer was curious but the bulls could care less as she continued petting their heads.

"It seems like they've taken a shine to you Ms. Mercy Rae" JR observed. "Well I have a tendency to attract animals of all varieties" she laughed.

After speaking to her further about care, feed and how often they should be checked out by a vet, JR asked if she was ready to sign the paperwork and finish the sale. She looked over at Hank and Tuck, Bo too, for their approval. The men nodded, giving it and she turned to the older rancher. "Let's do this" she said smiling.

Once the sell was complete, Hank, Bo and Tuck helped JR's men get the cattle loaded into the trailer while Mercy Rae talked with JR some more about her newly acquired beef.

"Now I've been feedin them the Purina Precon Complete and it seems to do the trick. It's important that you have good bedding down for them as well. Good hay and lots of it; it will make all the difference in havin happy cattle."

Mercy Rae smiled up at the older gentleman. "I can understand why Hank wanted me to deal only with you, JR. He said you were a good man and that you know your stuff; he was right."

Hank and Tuck walked up as Mercy and JR continued to talk. "I knew your daddy" JR told her. "You did?" she asked incredulously. The older rancher nodded.

"Folks around here loved doin business with your daddy and loved your family. He was honest and there wasn't anything he wouldn't do for his fellow man; and your mama? Well she was sweet and kind and boy howdy could that little woman cook!"

About that time Bo walked back up, stating that the cattle were ready for transport and he couldn't help but notice the state that his woman was in and looked to Hank for an explanation.

Mercy Rae wiped a few tears from under her eyes, and then threw her arms around Jr. "Thank you for saying that about my folks. It really means a lot to me." The man gently returned the hug and then left her with these parting words.

"If you need anything, anything at all, regarding the cattle, you pick up the phone and I'll help you out, you hear?" He grinned at her and she nodded in agreement.

When everyone was settled in the truck and ready to leave, Hank asked if anyone was hungry and of course Tuck spoke up. The boy had a hollow leg and would anything that wasn't tied, nailed or otherwise secured down.

Mercy Rae laughed out loud while Tuck looked at them, puzzled by the reaction he got. "What?" He asked. "I'm a growin boy" he finished defensively

Hank scoffed and responded with "Yes and God help me if I know where you put it all. Your mama, God rest her soul, couldn't keep enough food in the pantry."

Tuck sat back with his arms folded, pouting like a petulant child. "Go ahead and laugh it up y'all. But who's the first one y'all call when you need something done? Huh? Me! That's right, me." He said pointing to his chest.

"Aw big brother" Mercy Rae cooed at him, trying to sooth his hurt feelings but all he did was stick his lower lip out further, playing right along and making his sister fall over into Bo and laughing so hard she had tears in her eyes.

"Oh my goodness!" she howled as Tuck just came back with that sh*t eating grin of his. "All right children, that's enough" Hank called out gruffly. "I'm tryin to drive here."

"Sorry dad" both of them called out at the same time and that just made them look at each other and burst out laughing again and making Hank groan and Bo smirk.

The only thing that saved them was Hank pulling the rig into the parking lot of a tiny café called The Texas Diner and everyone knew that these were the best places to get home cooked meals, big portions and little prices.

As they entered they were met with the smiles of an older woman and Mercy Rae could tell right away that she knew Hank and Tuck and vice versa.

"Hank and Tuck Watkins, as I live and breathe!" she said giving each man a hug. "Lucy" Hank said and returning the hug, hesitating just a little before letting go of her.

"Your regular table?" she asked while grabbing four menus. "Yes m'am please" Hank answered back as they group followed her to a window view of the truck and trailer.

"So Hank" Mercy Rae started as soon as Lucy walked off to get their sweet teas. He scowled and held up a single finger, silencing her right away. She snickered and backed right off.

Lucy returned just as quickly as she had disappeared with four of the largest glasses of sweet tea Mercy had ever seen.

With her pen poised above her worn pad, Lucy looked at Hank and Tuck. "Y'all want the usual? Chicken fried steak, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and green beans?"

"Aw Ms. Luce you remembered" Tuck drawled. Lucy had a great laugh as she responded. "Well I should hope so Tucker; you and your daddy been comin here since you were knee high to a grasshopper."

"Little miss what I can get for you?" she asked sweetly. "I'll have the same please and thank you" Mercy Rae replied. Bo said he would take the same as well and with an order of cornbread and rolls.

"Comin right up; I'll get the bread, butter and honey to y'all in just a second" she said heading to the kitchen again.

Good to her word, Lucy showed up with a basket of the most delectable looking yeast rolls and cornbread, along with sweet honey butter.

For the next hour, the group made small talk, ate the delicious food and then prepared for the task of welcoming Mercy Rae's newest members' home.