Chapter 21

I enjoyed meeting my mother's friend and hearing a lot of stories about their friendship and Janna's promise to tell me more made me very thankful.

"What's going through your beautiful mind, little filly?" Bo asked, looking at me.

"I was just thinkin about your mom and mine. I'm just really thankful for getting to meet her and I know why my mom loved her so much. She's a wonderful woman" I told him, laying my head on his shoulder.

We were in Bo's truck, heading to church, when my phone rang.

"Hey big brother" I said, grinning at Bo. "Well after they eat, just let them out to potty and then they can roam the house." I told him regarding the girls. He also said he took care of Thor as well.

"Well I'll see you and Hank in a few" I told him. "Yep, I'm with Bo right now and we're gettin ready to pull into the parking lot now. Okay see ya in a bit."

"Tuck asking about the girls. He'll be here soon" I told Bo as we pulled into a gravel covered patch of ground.

It looked like a little white church and the kind of place I could feel at home in and I was looking forward to gettin inside.

I grinned as Bo got down, then turned and reached for my hand. Now we were at the point when I get in and out of his side of the truck and I couldn't be happier.

As we were about to make our way into the church, Sheriff Johnson approached Bo and I.

"Good morning y'all.  Mercy Rae, I heard back from my friend in Midland.  They got a hit off the piece of barb wire and it came back to a piece of sh*t known for running with Gillis and his group.

Of course that pompous windbag says he doesn't know the man, but we are lookin for him.  Keep safe darlin.  This man is not one to be played with.  He's dangerous."

I didn't know what to think about what he'd just told me, but part of me wasn't worried because I had plenty of good people surrounding me and would do anything to keep me safe.

"Thanks Earl" I told him while Bo gripped my hand tightly, his jaw clinching and I could almost hear the lecture that would be coming after this conversation.

"I know, Bo. I know, but can we talk about this later?" I looked up into his eyes and what I found was empathy and understanding.

"Okay baby girl. Later. But we are going to talk about it" he promised. I just nodded, still holding onto his arm as we walked into the small white building.

I couldn't help but notice the looks we received, but they weren't judgmental, they were smiles.  First at Bo, then me and I had a feeling they had all been used to him comin by himself.

The song service was great and uplifting.  Clap your hands and stomp your feet kind of music and the sermon itself was reminding us that we were all our brother's keeper, to love one another and never judge anyone unless we had judged ourselves first and if we found ourselves to be perfect, we'll go right ahead.  That got a laugh from the congregation.

Bo was right.  This was the kind of church I wanted to belong to, it was where I could fit in and be myself and I wanted that more than anything.