Chapter 4

I got up to the bar and took one look at Tammi Sue and Belynda's expressions and wondered why they were looking at me like that.

"What?" I asked innocently. Tammi Sue just shook her head while Belynda filled me in.

"Bo is what we call a lifer" she started. I guess she saw I was confused and continued on.

"What that means is, he's zeroed in on you. No other girl exist for him. You're it, Mercy Rae."

What the junk? I mean I was flattered, but did I want that already? I just moved here and all, but then again would it be so bad to have someone to share my life with?

My thoughts were interrupted by a grinning Tammi Sue. "Here's your beers and shots darlin. And look here, Mercy Rae, there's not a better man than Bo Robertson, well other than Tuck, but he's mine."

I took the metal bucket with the beers and balanced a small tray with our shots and headed back to the table, where all the talking stopped when I got closer.

"Aw, boys. No need to stop talkin on my account" I said, winking and grinning at Bo. He just smiled the sexiest smile and then smirked.

We talked about my truck, the ranch, Thor, the roof and then the fences, when I brought up a question I had.

"Do we still have an animal shelter here?" The boys looked at me funny, so I continued.

"I wanna get me a couple of dogs, for the house, to keep me company" I expanded on my thought process.

Luke spoke up. "There's a shelter across the street from the feed store. They also have a small pet store attached, so when you choose an animal, you can go get a bed, food and toys. Whatever you need."

"Thanks darlin" I replied. "I guess I'll be popping in there after I come by your store tomorrow."

All of a sudden Bo stands up, leans over and says "Dance with me little filly."  My body shivered from his breath on my face.

There was just something about the way he said my nickname that made me want to melt.

"Sure" I said, taking his hand and trying to ignore the looks going around the table, especially the one that Tuck was shooting out.

It was more along the lines of this is my little sister, don't break her heart.  And it was sweet and endearing and I loved him for it.

Bo walked over to the DJ and requested Jake Owen Heaven.  Now I know there's no way he could have known that was my favorite song, but it made my heart swell and I wondered if what Tammi Sue said was really true.

When he took me in his arms, I had never felt anything like it before.  I didn't even know how to describe what I felt, but I knew enough that I loved it.

We seemed to move effortlessly around the dance floor and I imagined that it was just the two of us, no one else existed in our little moment.

I breathed deeply, taking in his musky, woodsy scent and if I could have ever described a scent for a man of the outdoors, that's what it would have smelled like.

His chest was broad, his arms strong, yet gentle as they held me close to his body, his fingers stroking lightly down the back of my arm as we finished our dance.

The feeling I got, when the song was over, was that neither of us wanted it to end and I felt a sense of loss when we stepped away from each other.

I had taken one step towards the table, when I felt his fingers grip my wrist, gently halting my forward motion.

Turning, I looked up into his mesmerizing eyes, waiting for him to say something, anything, but instead, he entwined his fingers with mine and then we waked back to the table.

I was glaringly aware of all the stares we were getting, but I didn't care.  To be honest, it was great being wanted for a change, by a real man who wanted me for me.

"Fellas, I'm gonna go to the little girl's room.  I'll be right back" I told them as they stood when I did.  I didn't know if I would ever get used to that or not.

On my way back, I stopped by the bar to gab with the girls, when this prissy little thing came walking up to me and rudely interrupted my conversation.

"Uh, you must be new around here" she stated arrogantly.  I just raised an eyebrow at her assumption while she continued.

"Everyone around here knows that Bo Robertson is mine.  So, hands.off." She finished, her tone very sh*tty.

Tammi Sue scoffed while Belynda smirked.  "Please Charity.  What everyone around here knows is that Bo wants nothin to do with your hoe ass.  He already made that clear."

Charity looked me over one more time, swung her hair and stomped off in her designer cowboy boots.

I looked at my two friends as they looked at me and then we busted out laughing.  "Holy cowpie, the nerve of that heifer" I stated, getting one more beer for Bo.

When I walked back to the table, my friends asked what had happened.  I just grinned and filled them in.

"Well apparently old Charity over there warned me off Bo here, saying that everyone around town knew you guys were an item."  I just shrugged and popped a pretzel in my mouth.

Everyone seemed amused but Bo; he got up and thudded his way over to where Charity was sitting and from what I could tell, he was reading her the riot act.

He made his way back over to our table and plopped down, throwing his arm over the back of my chair, his thumb stroking my bare shoulder.

"I took care of that little problem" he said, swigging his beer and smirking at us.  The whole table burst out into laughter as we raised our beers.

I don't know what came over me, but I leaned into Bo's side, snuggling into the warmth of his body while we finished our drinks.

I was starting to get tired from the shots, the beers and the move, so it was time to call it a night.

"Well boys, my bed is callin my name.  I had a great time tonight.  Tomorrow tonight, my house, seven-thirty.  Cookout.  Just bring what y'all want to drink.  I've got everything else."

The best way to a man's heart was to feed them, so Bo and his friends were gonna get a damn good meal.

"Well I think we should all get a good night's sleep and call it a night as well" Tuck said.  The guys agreed.

We all left Tammi Sue a nice tip and on the way out, I invited her and Belynda as well.

I kissed and hugged Tuck, told the other guys goodnight and walked with Bo to my truck.

"Nice" he said grinning and pulling on the door, holding it open for me.

I climbed in, smiling at him, but before I could shut the door, he placed himself between my knees and put his hands on my thighs, his gaze never wandering far from mine.

"I wanna see you again, Mercy Rae" his voice husky and I was melting into a puddle on my truck seats.

"I would like that Bo.  Very much" I replied dreamily.

He leaned in to kiss me, but hesitated, I guess because he wanted my approval.  I nodded, giving it to him.

When his lips landed on mine, I lost my mind.  His lips were so sexy and he tasted of beer, tequila and just his normal taste.

"Wow" I breathed.  He smirked and told me goodnight.

"Goodnight" I said.  Holy cowpie.  This cowboy was gonna be the death of me.