Chapter 26

"It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupt those who are subject to it."

Rose's POV:

"What do you need help with Princess?" Reyna asks me and I take a deep breath.

"You were saying earlier that you could help me, and only my kind. Did you know I was a half-breed?" I ask her hushed and she smiles at me, an amused look in her eye.

"Just now figured that out Princess? That's why the pendant reacted to you in the first place. It's specially made for half-breeds, such as yourself. And it is correct, I can help you. I know that your powers have been laying dormant your entire life and are hidden away within you." She says and I nod my head, taking in a shaky breath.

"So you know how bad this could be?" I ask her and she nods. "With great power comes great responsibility. If you want, I could make your powers come to you, but it should only happen when I'm with you. Since you haven't used any power since you were born, the only time you should be able to use your powers is when I help you stimulant them. Then again, there are times when they can be triggered without my help." She says and I nod my head in understanding.

"So if I don't have you with me, I'm useless on my own?" I ask her and she shrugs. "Pretty much, but don't think that you are useless. You have a sharp mind, my Princess, something that a lot of people are lacking these days." she says and I nod to her.

"How can you help me stimulate my powers? Because I desperately need them." I say to her and she shakes her head. "You don't need them right now. If you gain control of them, you could become reckless and lose control, hurting those around you." she warns me and worry flashes in my eyes.

"The only time you need your powers is when you are in grave danger. If Harry cannot protect you, or you feel the dire need to use them, that's when I will help. Also, control your emotions. If your emotions get out of control, so will your powers.You are a deadly weapon, Rose, that shouldn't have full control." she says and I look down.

I didn't want to be known as a deadly weapon...I was just me. There wasn't anything really deadly about me. Normally that is. I don't think I could really hurt someone unless I had to. And I guess this is what it comes down to.

"I understand, Reyna." I whisper and she sighs. "I do not wish for you to feel sad about this. Harry doesn't understand the full meaning of your power, and neither do you. I have known a half-breed like you before, someone who had been able to use their power their entire life. They were out of control." she starts, her gaze fierce and angry.

"They destroyed countless towns, burned down everything in their sight and killed thousands of people. It took numerous people to contain that man. He's dead now." she says and I gulp, scared that I would end up like that...power taking over me and I went wild.

"That's...that's terrible." I mutter and Reyna nods her head, her image beginning to fade. "Just remember how powerful you really are, Princess, before you decide to call on me for help. I will help you, but if you don't like the result, that is not my fault." she warns me before she disappears from sight, the glow from the pendant fading away.

I let out a deep breath I didn't know I was holding, looking down at the ground as thoughts whirled in my head. If Reyna was right, then there was almost no way possible that I could help Harry with saving my kingdom. The mere thought of that made me angry.

I wanted to help so bad, and I had the power to, but I couldn't. It was too dangerous to try it, just as Reyna said. Why couldn't for once, my life be easy enough for me to handle without depending on others?

Getting up from my spot, I quickly go to my closet, putting on a dark blue dress. I fixed my hair a bit, just so that it looks like I actually did something, before I went back outside my room and headed down the stairs.

I took off the shoes that I had on, knowing that I wasn't going to be leaving the palace for the rest of the day, and headed off towards the library to find Harry. Hopefully he wouldn't think that anything was wrong. I just need to hide it really well, because everything is in fact, wrong.

My whole life has been thrown into chaos and it is slowly tearing me apart. But for Harry's sake, and for everyone else's sake as well, I will act like I am perfectly fine. Even though I was crying hysterically in the field over an hour ago, I will move on from that, try to forget about my past for the time being so I can focus on what's important: and that is stopping this evil threatening Dragmere.

I reach the library, opening the door to see Harry sitting down in one of our big chairs, a book in his hand. I smiled at how peaceful he looked, how calm he was. The way his eyebrows were scrunched just a little in concentration, his green eyes scanning the pages swiftly but carefully, and how his lips pursed when he read.

Seeing him like this made all my negative thoughts vanish, only focusing on him as I walk over to him, careful not to disrupt his intense reading, and sit down in a chair next to him.

"You look beautiful in that dress." he says, looking up from his book and at me, a small smile gracing his face. I return his smile, a blush forming on my cheeks at his words. "Thank you, Harry. What book are you reading?" I ask curiously and he gives me a shrug.

"It's one about how a man sold his family and went away then later felt guilty about it, but he couldn't do anything. So he becomes the mayor of a town to start new, trying to wash away his memories. But it doesn't work when his wife and daughter somehow make it to his town, bringing all his faults back to him." he summarizes and I can't help but see his sad stare.

I wonder if he can relate to this book in some way... "That's The Mayor of Casterbridge. I've read it before. It is quite a sad book." I say and he gives me a nod in reply. "Very sad indeed...never being able to forget all his mistakes." Harry says, his eyes glazing over as if a memory were flashing before him.

"Harry, are you okay?" I ask him, touching his arm gently and he looks at me, blinking a little before smiling at me. "I'm fine, Rose. Don't worry about me." he says and I give him an unconvinced look.

"Harry, have you been through something similar to that?" I ask him and his face turns into a solemn one, closing his eyes for a moment and taking a deep breath before opening them again and looking at me. 

"You could say that. But don't concern yourself with it, because it doesn't matter right now. I need to know how you are." he says, quickly changing the subject and I take a deep breath. Convince him, Rose.

"I'm doing good Harry. Much better now than I was out there. My head is clear, so I'm perfectly fine." I say, smiling at him and he raises an eyebrow. "You're sure?" he asks and I nod my head, silently begging for him to change the topic so that I don't feel like I want to cry again.

"Alright." he says unconvinced but drops the subject. I let out a silent breath of relief before I turn to Harry again, watching as he set the book he was reading down. "What do you want to do?" I ask him and he looks at me with a crooked grin.

"Well, I would love to be able to catch whoever this is and beat them to a pulp before burying them away. But since we can't do that right now, I don't know." he jokes and I laugh, putting a hand to my head at his cruel teasing.

"We'll get this guy soon enough." I reassure him and his face gets serious as he leans towards me, a frown now on his face as he stares at me. "Is it really soon enough Rose? Because everything is already going under." he starts and I gulp, looking at him worriedly.

"If the takeover has already begun, we are too late to save everything." Harry says sadly and I shake my head, giving him a determined look as I place a hand over his, looking into his eyes.

"We aren't too late. We can still save it all."

Yes, I know, this chapter is short and not really that good. But, keep Reyna's words to Rose in mind, because they are VERY important. And please let me know how you like it so far! Please continue to Comment and Vote! xx