Chapter 13

"When you start caring about yourself, you start to love somebody. When you start caring about others, somebody starts loving you."

Rose's POV:

It's been a week since Harry's moved in to the palace, and in that time we've gotten closer, Luke doesn't show up much, Harry says he's finding out stuff and everything is going as he figured it would.

When I was dressed and ready for the day, I went out of my room to see no one moving around in the palace. That's strange. I thought with a frown as I walk towards the stairs, looking around to see if anyone was here. Not a single soul was in sight, and it frightened me. Usually there was somebody out, maybe even guareds, but I didn't see anyone.

I thought maybe if I waited a little bit, people would start to show up and everything would be just like normal. As I stood there, I had hope that someone would be walking to the front doors.

But there wasn't.

Nervousness began to creep up inside me as I retreated back to Harry's door, knocking on it fervently. "Harry." I whisper, looking around to see if anyone was here, but still no one was. The palace was deathly quiet.

Something didn't feel right about the situation, because there was never silence like this in the palace. NEVER. I knocked on Harry's door louder, hoping he would open up. "Harry!" I say louder, finally just opening his door and looking inside.

He wasn't there.

"This is not good, this is not good." I repeated, hesitantly walking to the stairs, carefully making my way down them and towards the entry way. "Hello?" I call out nervously, looking around anxiously.

I open up the palace doors, peeking outside to see the streets empty as well. My eyes widened at it and I closed the door, leaning my back against it as I felt fear coming into me. The sun was shining in the sky, yet there was no one out.

Trying to think of something that I could do, I remember Harry's pendant he gave me, which still laid on my neck. I pressed my finger to the red jewel, watching as it lit up in a red glow.

"Harry? Harry you said I could contact you through this, but I don't know if you can hear me. Where are you? Where is everyone??" I ask scared, and not a minute later I hear his voice coming from the pendant, sounding strained.

"Oh...Rose. You're up. How'd you get out of the spell? Ahh no matter, where are you?" He asks and I gulp. Spell? What spell? "Harry I'm still I'm the palace, what is going on?" I ask him and I can hear him sigh.

"Don't panic, I'll be there in just a minute. I'm a bit-a bit tied up at the moment." He says, stumbling over his words and I hear movement and shouting in the background before I can't hear him anymore.

I let go of the pendant and press a hand to my forehead, my lip quivering as I feel tears build in my eyes. "No, no don't. You don't cry. Not anymore Rose." I say to myself, trying to convince myself to not cry. I took deep breaths, calming myself down and just trying to relax in the entry way while I waited for Harry.

After I successfully calmed myself down, I begin to walk back towards the stairs when I hear the doors open behind me. I turn around and my eyes widen as I see Harry enter, closing the door behind him.

He's bleeding again, not nearly as bad as he was but I can still tell he's been injured. "Harry what happened?!" I gasp, rushing over to him and he just chuckles. "Just a scratch. I got careless." He says to me with a smile and I shake my head.

"This is all because of me, isn't it?" I whisper and he gets silent. "You're getting hurt because of me?" I say, looking at him sadly while he just gives me a blank look.

"This is what I'm here for, Rose. Don't feel bad." He says and I shake my head again. "You shouldn't have to get hurt. No one should have to get hurt because of me!" I say and he chuckles.

"I'm going to protect you, Rose." He says seriously and I bite my lip, trying to keep the tears away. He doesn't need to see me cry. "But I want to be strong too." I say and his eyes widen at me a little before he blinks at me, taking a deep breath.

"Rose, please listen to me. I knew exactly what I was taking on when I signed up for this job. I don't care if I get hurt, as long as I can protect you and get the job done, I'm fine. I'm never going to let someone I care about get hurt ever again." He murmurs, taking my hands in his gently.

"But I care!" I protest, making his eyes widen I surprise. "Why?" He asks startled and I lean my head on his chest so he doesn't see the tears that came to my eyes against my will.

"Because I care about you, and I don't like seeing the people I care about getting hurt, especially if it's because of me." I say and he lets go of my hands, wrapping his arms around me in a hug and I fist his shirt.

"I care for you too, Rose, and that's exactly why I want to protect you. Because when I care for someone, I will protect them as much as I can. I don't want to see you get hurt." He says tenderly and I slowly look up at him, seeing him look down at me with caring eyes.

"Don't worry Rose, everything will turn out alright." He says and I nod my head before looking down at his wound. "It's healing?" I ask him and he nods.

"Depending on how bad our wounds are, we self-heal. But if they're really bad, that's when we need treatment. So as long as I'm not seriously injured, you'll never have to worry about me." He explains and I nod to him understandingly.

"What did you mean when you were talking about a spell?" I ask him and he sighs. "Someone put a spell over Dragmere, it's a sleeping spell. They will sleep for a long time, unless the caster wants certain people awake. I guess whoever it is wants you awake. Those kinds of spells don't affect me." He says and I nod my head.

"Could it be the person who wants to kill me?" I ask and he frowns. "That's where I was all morning. I've already taken out three demons who were trying to get to the palace. I have a feeling the person over all of this knows whoever wants to kill you. They could be working together." He says and I sigh.

"So it's a double threat?" I ask and he nods his head. "And sadly that's only the start of it, Rose. I found something out." He says and I look at him happily.

"That's great!" I say and he looks down at the ground. "No, it's really not." He says and I frown. "Why?" I ask and he gives me a sad look.

"This sleep...the caster did it today for a reason...he wants to make a move. So as of now, the whole Northern region of Dragmere is under an eternal sleep." He says and my eyes widen. Oh. My. God.

"They're starting the takeover now."

Uh oh. Not looking good is it? Let me know how you liked this chapter! I'd really love to hear from you guys. What do you think is going to happen? Please continue to Comment and Vote!!