Chapter 17

"We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun."

Rose's POV:

I had just finished getting sized and my dress fitted and I couldn't be more excited for this ball. Harry and I were finally allowed to come out of our rooms after all the materials and measurings have been put up and Celeste was on the third floor making our clothes.

We had already eaten lunch by now and were allowed to see each other, which I was thankful for. I didn't know how I was going to last without Harry until the next evening, just because I was slightly afraid that someone would come and try to hurt me. Without him there, I would be killed in an instant.

I was afraid of it, but at the same time I don't know if I would mind it. Because if I were out of the way, Harry wouldn't have to get hurt for me and no one else would either. But then again, the demons would try to take over Dragmere, so it was a lose, lose situation for me either way.

Sighing, I shook my head to clear my thoughts before leaving my room, going to the stairs where Harry was waiting for me again. He told me about three days ago that he was going to just walk me down at the top of the stairs because he didn't want me to fall and him not be able to catch me.

I mean, I'm not the most graceful person there is and he couldn't just use his vampire speed inside the palace without getting caught, so he would have to watch me tumble down the stairs helplessly. He had told me it would be too painful for him to just sit by and watch me fall, not when there was something that he could do about it.

He took my hand with a smile, making me smile back at him as we began our descent. A thought crossed my mind and I turned to Harry with a worried look. "Harry." I say to him and he turns his head to me, one of his eyebrows raising up.

"What about James' body? We left it out in the middle of the street!" I say to him and he gives me a smile. "No we didn't. After you fell asleep in my arms, I laid you down in bed and went to move his body. He's now dead in the forest, so if anyone finds him, they'll think that the forest truly is darkened. So, this means no more forest time for you." he says and I frown at this.

I can't go back to the forest?? That's...oh well. I'll have to live with it.

"So they won't figure it was you who killed him though?" I ask and he shakes his head. "No, there's no way they could trace it back to me." he says positively and I nod my head to him. We get down to the bottom and I look around, trying to figure out something for us to do until we have to be separated. I really didn't want to be separated from Harry, but I can't disobey what my mother says.

"Let's go to the garden." Harry says, deciding what we were going to do before I could even think. I nodded in agreement, letting him lead me through the castle and out the back doors, into our garden. It was a beautiful little garden with blooming flowers, luscious green plants, and a small fountain in the middle with water in it.

I take in the calming sights and smile, loving how this place almost represented the forest. But nothing could replace my forest, it just means too much to me.

An idea came to my head and I giggled, turning to Harry with a devious smile. He catches my look and narrows his eyes at me playfully, not knowing what I was planning. "What?" he asks me slowly and I giggle, letting go of his hand and backing away from him. He raises an eyebrow at me and I wink at him, making him smile at me.

"Catch me if you can!" I yell, turning around and taking off running. I knew it was childish, but I needed something like that to get my mind off of the looming thoughts of yesterday's events. So I needed a distraction, so I was hoping this would be it.