Chapter 15

"The worst thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies. It comes from friends and loved ones."

Rose's POV:

I stared at James in complete and utter horror. Of all people that could've been a possibility, James was the last person that I would've ever suspected. He was right about that.

"Why?" I whisper and he laughs, throwing his head back as demonic laughter echoes through his mouth. He gives me a scary look as his blue eyes turn gold, his dark brown hair turning black as his body turned into a demonic color, a blackish red. He truly looked like a demon now, fangs showing as he smiled.

"It's because you've always been in the way, ever since you were young. If you were dead, there would be no heir to the throne and the demons could take over Dragmere once and for all!!!" He rages, his voice deep and demented.

I take a step back in shock, tears pricking my eyes as I heard him. All those years of his friendship, the laughs, the hugs, the fun memories, everything we've shared...it's all been a lie? He's been raising me like a pig for slaughter.

Harry comes up beside me, somehow breaking free of the rocks that James had trapped him with. He glares at James angrily, the clothes he was wearing slightly ripped from the rocks. He kept his black pants on, but ripped off his shredded shirt and tossed it aside, still glaring at James. Harry's bare chest moved up and down rapidly, his breathing ragged with anger.

"You lowlife demon, how could you do this?" He growls, his eyes turning red as James laughs at him. "It's because we demons are treated like dirt. And it's time for us to be on top, and put you humans and vampires in your rightful place! Under our feet!!" James rages, his gold eyes shining with hate.

"Even if you kill me, we will always come after you, Rose. We will come for you until you come with us, because we will kill you." He snarls and a tear slips down my face. My fists curl up as my body begins to shake.

They weren't going to stop. They were always going to come for me, and people were going to get hurt because of me. People I cared about were going to die, just because of me. I can't let that happen. My family...Harry...dying because of me?

"Just give up Rose, and come with us. Accept your fate." He says darkly and I feel Harry trembling beside me. He sticks his arm out in front of me protectively, glaring dangerously at James.

"You really think that's going to happen?? She's not going to do that!" He growls and James gives him a dark smile. "Just give her to us Harry, and you'll never have to worry about suffering or pain ever again." He says and Harry clenches his fists furiously.

"I'd rather die than sell out someone that I care about!" He shouts and I begin to cry, covering my mouth with my hand. Tears begin to fall down my cheeks as my shoulders shake, sobs racking my body.

"You will never take a friend away from me, demon!! I will fight until my very last breath!!" Harry says defiantly and I feel more tears fall down my face.

No one...no one has ever done anything like this for me. In my entire life, no one had ever given so much for me or stood up for me like this. I've never had a friend before besides James, having been in the castle since I was young, and here Harry was, claiming I was his friend and that he wasn't going to let me leave. 

And having Harry standing here, standing in front of me, defending me, gives me a new sense of worthiness. Something that no one has ever given me before. The fact that he was willing to fight for me made my heart swell with happiness.

Before James could say anything else to Harry, Harry sprints at him, reaching him in a second, slamming his fist into James face and sending him flying backwards.