Ch. 8 - Rake The Lake

Eve tugged at the elastic hem of her bright pink Walmart one-piece with a cringe. Trying to find a bathing suit that adequately contained her curves under a cool one hundred dollars had been a disaster. Online shopping was futile, she discovered, if you wanted full ass coverage. She had resorted to buying the pink monstrosity at Walmart a week before leaving for camp at Auden's suggestion.

"Man, I feel like a woman," she muttered sideways into Auden's ear.

Auden smirked but remained quiet, clearly focused on the task at hand.

"The notoriously sexy camp bathing suits are out to play," Eve added, keeping her eyes trained on Charlie as he barked instructions, "I especially enjoy that floral potato sack you're rocking."

Auden was wearing a turquoise swimsuit with a white floral pattern and ruched sides.

"Shhh," Auden whispered with a finger pressed to her lips, "I don't want him to repeat all of this crap if you piss him off."

Eve frowned and dug her pink-tipped toes into the grainy sand, attempting to tune into Charlie's obnoxious droning. He'd been going strong for at least ten minutes.

"I realize it's not the most pleasant task," he wrapped up in a rather unenthusiastic tone, "but it keeps our shoreline clean and safe for campers."

The other directors nodded solemnly and exchanged grim looks, prompting Eve to turn an inquisitive brow to Auden.

"What task?"

"Seriously?" Auden huffed, "did you listen to a word Charlie said?"

Eve smiled and shrugged,

"I don't speak douche-bag..." she trailed off, her gaze landing on Maverick who stood a few paces to their right.

Clad in a bright blue Camp Wabanaki cut-off and American flag swim trunks, Maverick looked ready for action. Eve flashed him a devilish look,

"Perhaps you can translate?"

Maverick clutched his chest with feigned indignity,

"Hey, I'm an asshole, not a douche-bag," he shot back with a pointed finger, "there's a big difference."

Eve grabbed Maverick by his extended index finger and took a threatening step forward,

"You want to square up, asshole?"

The familiar mischievous glint flashed in Maverick's baby blues as he countered her grip and pulled her closer,

"Fight me, Goose."

Eve cocked her head, decidedly unperturbed by his nearness and yummy boy smell,

"And embarrass you in front of all these good people? I think not."

Maverick was about to reply when Auden cleared her throat and stepped between them,

"As much as I would enjoy watching Evie beat you down," Maverick guffawed at that one, "we need to go get rakes from the boat shed before it hits high noon," Auden pointed out.

Maverick nodded his agreement, but Eve regarded her friends with a blank expression.

"What the heck do we need rakes for?"

He looked at Auden incredulously,

"What was she listening to for the past fifteen minutes?"

Auden threw up her hands, her sleek auburn hair fanning out around her face,

"I don't know! It wasn't my turn to watch her!"

Eve crossed her arms and pouted at the exchange,

"I don't even go here!" she interjected loudly, kicking at the sand.