Promises and butterflies

After my little hospital stunt, Dad and my uncles got together and changed the form of Matt and Elijah having their schedule rearrange along with Drew, so the four of us were in classes together most of the time and had lunch period together.

Junior got the honor of dealing with all six younger siblings. It didn't thrill Junior considering three were his hellion siblings, plus the double trouble twins and RJ, who out of the six cause the least amount of grief.

Matt, Elijah, and Drew got put in charge of taking care of me, especially when Dad talk to Hunter once he started working with Dad. Hunter was five years older than Dad and had worked for Uncle Mason since he was sixteen.

We found out later Uncle Mason rescued him from the streets when he was thirteen and offered him a home and eventually a job. He found out later Hunter ran away from home because horrible things happened to him there. I didn't ask what happened. It wouldn't have mattered since they would shut me down because of it. One thing I learned from the adults is they told you what you needed to know, nothing more, nothing less.

There was an unspoken respect between Dad and Hunter, and they became friends. I did eventually meet both his parents, which I had to admit, Hunter was a man of few words, but Gail had the same sense of humor, warm, and friendly.

My friendship with Drew even grew more. Where I was, he was and the same with him. Matt and Elijah also became close to him, along with Junior. In the evenings, when we didn't have school work, the five of us hung out.

Dad and my uncles even took Drew under their wings. I hate to say it, but he became part of the family unofficially and my best friend. I remember when that time of the month comes, and a woman becomes crazy. My door opened up. Drew and the other guys threw chocolate at me, then closed the door. I could hear the laughter as they ran down the hallway, boys.

We all hung out in the living room one Friday night, having a movie marathon. Four guys against one girl were unfair with picking films. I always got outvoted figures. Well, that was until I called Dad, who superseded the guys.

"That's unfair, don't you think?" Elijah asked.

"I don't think so. Think about it. You guys outnumber me. Now, if you had girlfriends, this wouldn't be a problem," I said, sticking out my tongue.

"Oh, that's mature," Matt said, rolling his eyes.

"Just as mature as the rest of you," I shrugged.

I was lying on the couch with my feet over Drew's lap while Matt took the other furniture, and Elijah took a chair with his legs over the arm while Junior sat on the floor. As the movie started, I felt a finger brush against the bottom of my foot, making me giggle. The guys shushed me until it happened again, and I laughed louder until I got popcorn tossed at me.

I gave Drew a swift kick under the blanket, and he shot me a look and mouthed, "What the fuck?"

I shrugged and smirked. As the movie played, I heard the knock at the door.

"Giggles get the door," Matt said to me, still watching the movie.

"You get the door," I snapped back.

"Just get the door," Matt's voice demanded.

"Fine," I said as I got up. I walked past Matt and smacked him on the head, making the other three chuckled under their breath. Matt glared at us, then shook his head while rolling his eyes.

I answered the door to find a package address to me. I picked it up and turned around as Dad came into the living room.

"Who's at the door?" Dad asked.