Getting to know you, well, sort of

Drew sat in the living room on the couch as Dad, Uncle Frazier, and Uncle Jordan stood there as the fearsome three. The others stood near and watched history in the making. Drew sat back on the couch, with one leg over the other and his hands in his lap, not flinching.

"Ok, this is unnatural," Elijah whispered to Matt.

"Yeah, most guys would quiver like little bitches," Matt whispered back.

"Shh," Junior said, hushing them.

I wasn't aware of what was happening downstairs until RJ came and got me. I walked down the stairs and saw the whole scene in the living room, then quietly went back up and got Mom.

RJ and I followed Mom as she came into the living room and stood there, watching Dad and my uncles.

"What are your intentions with my daughter?" Ryan asked Drew.

Drew thought for a minute, then said, "Oh, you know, hang out, get to know each other, make her fall madly in love with me." He grinned. I think that was the wrong thing to do because Dad quickly picked him off the couch as Uncle Jordan and Uncle Frazier surrounded him.

Instead of shaking from fear, Drew rolled his eyes. "Can you put me down?"

Dad and my uncles looked at each other.

"Is this kid for real?" Jordan asked.

"I don't know, but it takes a lot of balls for someone to say something like that," Frazier replied.

Dad looked at Drew. "What is your game that you're playing?"

I leaned into Mom and whispered, "Can you stop them, please?"

"Give them a minute, Elizabeth. Something tells me this guy isn't like most guys," Mom whispered back.

"I'm not playing a game. One, games are stupid, two, they hurt people, and three, I have better things to do," Drew said. He never raised his voice, lost his cool, or shook with fear. I think I was dumbstruck with awe.

Dad put him down and let go of his shirt as he rubbed his chin, as did the others.

"I do have a question though," Drew said, looking at my dad.

"What's that?" Dad asked.

"If you three are the most feared people and so is your family, why is your daughter getting bullied," Drew asked Dad with his hands in his pockets.

"What do you mean?" Dad asked. "Elizabeth would tell us if someone bullied her, and the boys would do something about it."

I stood there, shifting from foot to foot. I could feel my cheeks heat as Dad looked at me, "Right, Elizabeth?"

I looked at the ground and couldn't tell Dad. I was too embarrassed. These past two years, I endured hell only to have some strange new guy tell my secret. The worst part is I didn't tell anyone.

Dad walked over to me as Mom looked at me. He put a hand on my upper arm and lifted my chin. I tried not to cry, but it was so hard.

"Elizabeth, is it true?" Dad asked in a harsh tone, making me recoil from his touch. It reminded me of the harsh words and contacts that I received at school, making me flinch when anyone tried to touch me. I wasn't always like that until the day I rejected Maddox, and that started it.

"Elizabeth?" Dad asked me, confused. I shook my head feverishly. The tears fell, and I turned, running up the stairs with everyone hot on my heels. I quickly got inside my bedroom and slammed the door shut, locking it.

They knocked on my door as I slid down with my back pressed against the door until I was on the floor. I pulled my knees up to my chest and sobbed. I was never afraid of my dad ever because I was always defiant, along with Matt. Heck, when we were two, and he tried to look mean, we gave him raspberries.