Chapter 5

An exhausted sigh left your mouth as your right hand ran through your hair (which was a bit messy). You looked up at the sky, smiling at the brightness of the day as the clouds were passing by. There were plenty of them. Some were looking a bit weird, some were small, some were big, some were smooth...just like Johan's voice and those oh-so-charming blue eyes of his. Not to mention his beautiful face which perfectly fitted his body-

You shook your head. That sounded silly.

Just why my thoughts always wander to him? He is handsome, I can't deny that but for God's sake, I have no clue who is he! I know nothing of him! He could be a serial killer and I could be his target-

Okay, that's kinda hyperbolic.

A saddened smile made its way on your face as the ghost of thoughts reminded you that you had no time for those things.

I need to find my past. I want to-no, I need to know who I am. I just can't go on like this anymore...

You continued walking towards your home, not bothering of anyone's presence until you reached the park. The group of kids was playing with ball, laughing and talking of who-knows-what. The scene in front of you made you smile slightly.

One of the girls stopped playing and stared back at you. You blinked, a bit confused why she looking at you as if she saw a ghost. Out of blue, she yelled "Johan, your girlfriend is here!"

You blushed and shook your hands in defense "I am not-"

A voice of a girl interputted you "We're talking for some time and you didn't tell me that she is your girlfriend?! Oh, that makes things so much easier." . You turned to the direction where the voice was coming from and your eyes slightly widened. The familiar girl was sitting on the bench as well as the black haired guy and...

Does fate hate me so much? The only person I ACTUALLY wanted to impress has to see me in this state?! I am tired, sleepy, hungry and I just want to get home, eat and watch anime! Am I asking for too much!?

You couldn't pretend that you hadn't heard the girl since you had made an eye contact with her. You approached the trio and sat on the same bench next to Johan since it was the only empty place. It would be awkward if you were the ony one standing. "Why does everyone have to make that assumption?"

"Because you blushed." the girl answered and let out a small giggle.

The boys remained silent as you slightly leaned forward and let out another sigh, resting your head in the palm of your left hand "I bet you would blush as well if someone called you to be..."you paused for a moment and then looked at the black haired guy "his girlfriend."

The girl slightly blushed and pouted "I don't like him that way."

Lie.

"I don't recall saying that I'm anyone's girlfriend."

Why didn't I say that I didn't like Johan...I guess I didn't want him to think that I don't like him. Why am I even thinking of it right now?!

And then....awkward silence. Not to mention that you were sitting on the bench next to Johan and two people who just seemed familiar.

Wait...she mentioned "making things easier". What did she mean by that?

You opened your mouth slightly and just in a moment when you wanted to ask her about it, you realize that she was standing in front of you. She probably had stood up when you were spacing out. She slightly smiled and offered you her hand to shake "Lotte Frank. Cultural Anthropology major. Nice to meet you, _________."

You shook her hand "How do you know my name?"

She winked at you and showed you a thumbs up "Researching is my specialty, after all." . She pointed her hand at the black haired guy "This is Karl, Business Management major. And this is Johan but I think you two already know each other."

Karl...the name rings a bell.

You smiled and slightly waved at Karl "Yeah...By the way, you-" you back your glaze at her but then you realized that Lotte was very close to you, looking at your face as if she was examining you "What are you doing?"

She straightened her form and slightly pouted "I bet pretty girls like you don't have any problems even when your hair is messy."

"W-what?"

"Lotte, I think you're being a bit too straightforward, don't you think so?" Karl spoke and let out small laugh while Johan remained silent, a same smile plastered upon his face, his gaze still fixed on the children.

"Well, beside my main research, you're my side project." she said and took her seat next to Karl. "_______ L/N, Criminal Psychology major, Sunday's girl. Schuwald only hire male students to read to him. Karl and Johan are one of those."

Oh, that's right! Schuwald mentioned Karl's name when he was yelling at me!

"I work for Schuwald as well but only cleaning laundry and other chores yet you...got a job as a reader despite being female. I tried searching about your background but I couldn't find a lot. How did you get a job?"

My background...? But I don't remember half of the things myself.

You looked at her a bit skeptical. The brunette wasn't really polite with you, nor acting mature but you could see in her eyes that she was nothing but curious. A small smile arrived to your lips as you looked at the children again "I don't think that I am the right person to answer that. Maybe my grades impressed him, or I just said something that impressed him when I had an interview with him."

"What about your background? Relatives, parents?" Lotte continued, her gaze fixed on you.

Your gaze lowered to your ground, trying to avoid that topic as much as possible "Nothing which is relevant to the job."

If this girl wasn't able to find anything about my past then what I am supposed to do? Now that I am almost graduating, I will have more free time but...where should I even start searching? Is there anything that could help me?

Your eyes slightly widened in realization that there was something.

The necklace! The same necklace which I always keep inside my red coat! I don't remember when I got it so it had to be connected with something or someone from my past!

Determination ran through your veins, once lost hope started raising inside you once again. You stood up and slowly started walking away, you turned around once and waved to Johan, Karl and Lotte "Sorry, gotta go! Hope to see you two around! See you on Saturday, Johan!"

Without waiting for them to reply, you started sprinting towards your apartment. There weren't many people on the streets which you were really grateful for.

Why didn't I come up with that idea sooner?!

After a few moments of running, you bumped into someone accidentally, sending both of you on the ground as well as your and his bags.

Just my luck!

"I-I am very sorry. It was my fault!" you quickly stood up, brushed your knees and offered your hand to the black haired man. He seemed to tense for a moment but then he looked up at you. You took a moment to examine his face. The man was around his 40-ish, had black eyes and was Japanese. Realizing that the both of you were staring at each other for some time, you apologized again, took both of your bags from the dirty ground and handed him his.

"It's alright. You must have been in hurry. Just try not to hurt yourself while running, alright?" despite the tiredness which his eye bags showed, the man at you genuinely. You found yourself staring at him, feeling some kind of a deja vu..

"Thank you." you rubbed the back of your neck and smiled at him "I apologize once again. I hope I didn't hurt you." .

You started away from each other as you heard a police siren somewhere in the distance. Ignoring it, you turned around around once again, hoping that you would be able to get at least his name. After all, if you felt a deja vu then he could someone who you knew before the tragic event.

However....the man was already out of your sight.