24

I sat in a pile of pillows in the center of an empty room. The walls were a pale blue and the floor was made of white tiles.

"Neveah! Come on, let's go."

"Where are we going?" I asked. I looked down at my bare feet and hospital gown. "Where are we?"

"We're going to Matthew's class."

A hand reached out for mine and I took it. "Why are we going to History class?"

"I owe you a bag of cinnamon hearts."

I held onto his hand tighter. "I still have the one Riley gave me last week."

"No you don't. I stole it from your bag so I'd have an excuse to talk to you in class."

I laughed, "That's a little obsessive, don't you think?"

"I'm obsessive? You're the one who sketches drawings of the back of my head. But I'd do anything to hear your voice. Anything to see you smile."

I clung onto his arm. "I'd do the same for you."

"Neveah. Do you even know me?"

I didn't answer. I just kept holding onto his arm.

"Come on, we're going to be late for class," I said. 

"You're always late for class."

We walked into the classroom. It was nearly completely empty, besides 2 desks remaining. One in front of the other.

"These are our desks. You'd always tug the back of my collar in attempt to flirt."

"I did not!" I chuckled. "It was the only way to get your attention when you were focused on the lesson."

"That's not true. I could never focus in this class, knowing you sat right behind me."

He opened my hand and placed three cinnamon hearts on my palm.

"Only three?" I asked.

He pointed at each heart with every word.

"Rose, ebony and snow."

"Why do you always do that?" I smiled, placing the candy in my mouth.

"To remind you of my favourite qualities of yours. Come on, we have somewhere else to be."

We ran out into the hallway. He slipped into the janitor's closet and I hesitantly followed.

"So what are they?" I whispered. "Your favourite qualities of mine?"

He chuckled lightly, stepping closer to me. He grazed my cheek and traced my lips gently with his thumb. "Lips red as the rose."

He moved even closer, tucking my hair behind my ears."Hair black as ebony."

"And skin," he moved one more inch so our noses touched and he placed his hands firmly on my waist. He took a breath and looked me up and down, "white as snow."

He kissed my lips softly, filling my chest with warmth.

"I love you," I told him.

"Neveah. Do you even know me?" He repeated the same question asked earlier. Once again, I didn't answer. I just rested my head on his chest.

"I love you too," he whispered faintly.

"Are you mad at me?" I said quietly.

He shook his head. "Why on earth would I be mad at you?"