26

It was mid-afternoon and I sat in the hospital bed watching The Edge of Seventeen.

There was a tap on the door. I looked over at the coma patient. Maybe the visitor was for him again. Maybe the Isadora girl.

"Come in," I said loudly. The door cracked open and Lucas appeared in the doorway.

"Hey Nev," the corners of his lips turned upwards. He held a light turquoise box in one hand and a rose in the other.

He placed the box on my legs and pulled up a chair. "For you," he handed me the rose.

"Thank you," I smiled, peering into the turquoise box. "God, I haven't had cinnamon rolls from Cinnabon since..."

"Since your mom?" he said softly. "Sorry, I didn't mean to—"

"No, Lucas, it's fine. I really appreciate it," I told him.

"I would've gotten some from Topanga's but it's closed for awhile," he shrugged. "You told me that when you first tried their cinnamon rolls, Cinnabon couldn't compete."

"Right, Riley's mom owns the bakery we talked about the other day. The one that I apparently 'sit in more than my own bed.'" I nodded. "It's closed because of Katy, right?"

"Yes. Sorry," he said. His green eyes were always full of warmth. At least when he looked at me.

In the leather book, I talked about a boy with blue eyes. I could've been mistaken. Plus some people's eyes change colors, depending on what they're wearing.

"Lucas, um, can I ask you a stupid question?" I ran my thumb over the petals of the rose. Lips red as the rose. It could be Lucas.

He nodded, giving me a friendly smile. He was always smiling when he was around me.

"Were we like...together?" I asked. "Like dating or whatever?"

Suddenly, his constant smile began to fade. His gaze shifted towards the rose in my hands, "No, we weren't. I mean, I wish we were but I shouldn't even be saying that."

"I mean, well, why? You clearly are a great guy and I don't see why I wouldn't like you," I told him. I held the rose up to my face, taking in it's scent. Lips red as the rose. It had to be Lucas.

He took my hand and squeezed it, "Neveah, I've already been telling you so much already against your aunt's wishes. I think it's pretty clear that the fact that you can't remember me means that I wasn't as important to you as you are to me."

I wanted to apologize but what would be the point? I remembered Zay, Maya and Riley. Why couldn't I remember him?

"I think I should go now," he looked down. As he let go of my hand, something fell to the floor.

He picked up a small black box off the floor. "Right," he handed me the box.

I examined the little wooden box. Ebony wood. Inside was a beautiful heart-shaped locket with the quote engraved inside. The full quote.

"Lips red as the rose. Hair black as ebony. Skin white as snow," I said to myself.

When I looked up, Lucas had already left.

It had to be him.

What was Lucas to me? There had to be some way to find out. A way to remember.

The journal from the bakery.

I flipped through the pages of sketches and quotes. I thought about the dream I had again. I told the person that this book was about them. Between two of the pages, there was another slip of paper tucked in. I unfolded it and it was another drawing.