22

I was awoken by the sound of the door opening. I kept my eyes closed since I was still half-asleep. It was probably just the nurse anyway.

"Darling, we're not supposed to have visitors at this hour," the nurse whispered.

"Just a quick visit," Maya spoke. "Plus, you'd never stop me if Riley was here. I sense a lack of trust, Rita."

"Don't stay up too late Maya," the nurse told her. 

Instead of coming to my side, Maya walked over to the other side of the curtain. She was whispering so I couldn't hear her clearly.

It was nice of her to talk to the other patient. Ever since I've woken up, I haven't seen anyone visit them.

Maya then walked over to my bedside, running her fingers through my hair.

"Just like he always said," Maya whispered. "Hair black as ebony."

Lips red as the rose. Hair black as ebony. There was another part to that quote.

"Neveah, I don't think I've ever said thank you. I've never regretted telling you that we needed you that day in the cafeteria because it was true. It still is true. Not only did you help me after my mom left, but you helped me find love and happiness."

Her mother was the waitress at the bakery. Katy Hart.

~~~
Maya sat in the centre of the wine-stained carpet. The color was drained from her face and there were dark circles around her eyes. Silently, I sat with her and pulled her into my side.
~~~

"I know a lot of the time, you think things are your fault but you couldn't be more wrong. Neveah, if you weren't apart of our lives, all of this crap would still happen. The only difference is that we'd all have to go through it alone. You've helped all five of us. Even if it was something as simple as Zay's homework."

Five?

~~~
"Thanks for letting me sit with you guys."
"Maybe we needed you more than you think, Snowy."

~~~

She always said that. She would always tell me that they needed me.

Even if I couldn't remember everything, I was almost certain that I needed them more than they needed me.

A few of her tears fell onto my wrist. She quickly wiped them off with her palm.

"You know, I used to never show emotion to anyone besides Riley. And when Riley and I went through that rough patch, you were the only person I could trust. Now it seems like I'm crying whenever I'm with you. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing," she said. "I really should've waited until you were awake to tell you all this. It probably would've meant more."

I gently grabbed her forearm to let her know I was listening.

"Maya Penelope Hart," I whispered. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You know me?" Maya whispered.

I smiled, opening my eyes, "I'd know you anywhere."

"Well, you clearly haven't for the past few days," she chuckled.

I sat up so she'd have room to sit down. "Maya, it's a school night. You should go home and sleep."

"You're one to talk," she rolled her eyes, referencing to my many sleepless nights.

"Just go home, Maya," I told her.

She sighed, getting off the hospital bed. "Fine. I love you, Snowy."

"Love you too," I replied. She quietly left the room, leaving only the sound of the hospital buzz.

I looked to my right at the curtain divider. I wonder if the patient had any family or friends. Maybe they had visitors during the first week when we were both out but they stopped coming. The green balloon peeking out the side was deflating but besides that, I couldn't even tell if there were any other presents.

I used the support of the hospital bed to get onto the ground. I hesitantly walked over to the other side of the curtain.

It was dark but I could tell they were pretty messed up. Their limbs were in casts and they were covered in bandages. Based on their condition, I'd expect for them to be in a private room.

I went back to my side to grab the flowers that Aunt Scarlet brought me. I went back over to the other patient and placed them along with the green balloon.

I stood there for a moment, hoping for some sort of a reply. Obviously, I got nothing.

"Goodnight," I whispered.