19

It was Friday night and Farkle was supposed to pick me up for dinner in 5 minutes.

He told me to dress up so I wore a dark blue skater dress, with red heels to resemble Snow White, like on the day that I became friends with all of them. 

There was a knock on the door to my apartment. I opened it to reveal Farkle in a clean, white collared shirt and a dark grey suit jacket.

"Well, it's pretty obvious who the fairest of them all is," he chucked.

I smiled proudly before curtsying, "Good evening, Sir Farkle."

"Shall we?" he held out his hand.

I locked my fingers with his, "We shall."

We walked down the busy streets before Farkle abruptly stopped before the stairs leading to Topanga's.

"Farkle, why are we here?" I asked, following him.

He stopped before the glass door of the bakery and took the keys out of his pocket.

"Neveah, this is your favourite place in the world. I wanted to take you somewhere that meant something to you," he said, holding the door open for me. "I got Riley to steal the keys for me. Right after school, she helped me bake some bread and make cinnamon rolls so—"

"So it would smell just how it always did," I smiled. The bakery was lit up with candlelight and the window seat that I'd sit in each night was set up with blankets. The moonlight shone over just as I remembered. 

"This is perfect, Farkle. Thank you," I wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my head on his chest.

He lead me over to the window, sitting me down and wrapping a blanket over my shoulders. "I'll be right back."

He went behind the counter and 'Gone Away' by SafetySuit started playing.

"Is this—"

"—SafetySuit, Life Left to Go? Your favourite album? Why, yes it is," he said proudly. He came back with a tray filled with assorted pinwheel sandwiches, two cinnamon rolls and two mugs of cinnamon hot chocolate.

He put the food down on the bench in front of us and sat with me under the blanket.

"Farkle, how do you know these things about me?" I rested my head on his shoulder. "Like my favourite music, food and place?"

He smiled and wrapped his arm around my waist, "Nev. I've watched you come to this exact spot for years. Every single thing about you, I've noticed."

I thought back to all those times Farkle and the others would meet up here. Farkle would always only be a few feet from me.

"It was you, wasn't it?" I asked him. "A few months ago, someone began to buy me cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate. It was you."

"Of course it was," he kissed my forehead. "Sometimes, I'd watch you get so lost in a book that you'd skip dinner."

"So how did you know my favourite album, then?" I asked.

"You play your music at the highest volume. Over the years, SafetySuit seemed to be the band you listened to on most nights," he shrugged.

"Huh," I sighed. "I just never thought you noticed these things."

For the first time, it truly felt like we were talking. Actually talking. We talked about our likes, our dislikes...Our dreams for the future...Anything that came to mind.

I learned that his favourite colour was orange, and I told him that mine was blue. I learned that he wanted to study biochemical engineering in his post-secondary education, and I told him that I was leaning towards psycholinguistics. He told me that his favourite dessert was ice cream.