v | Story Telling

"Nya, wait. Do you smell... burning?"

Nya stopped running and turned around to look at Scarlett. "Burning? No, I don't..."

They were just at the closed doors entering the courtyard. Before either could say anything else, they heard the sound of voices.

"You fool! The flamess were supposed to be lit after we got the ssstaff!"

"It's not my fault there was ssome rope! They all musst be gone if a trap was sset. Skaless will arrive soon with the remaining warriorss; let'ss show him we can do thiss on our own!"

A hand flew to Scarlett's mouth, her eyes widening. Nya placed her own hand on her friend's shoulder, leaning her ear to the door to listen intently. Looking back at the girl, she put a finger to her lips; don't make a sound.

Nya then withdrew her dagger. "There only seems to be a few of them," she whispered. "I need you to go find the staff and make sure nobody gets near it."

"Me?" Scarlett breathed out, looking left and right. "But you..."

"I can handle them. The last thing we need is the staff getting in their hands. Now go; it's down the hall, second room on your left."

Scarlett was forced to gulp down her fear. "Be careful, please."

As she ran off in said direction, she heard the sound of the door sliding open and Nya shouting, "Alright snakes. You messed with the wrong monastery!"

This relieved her somewhat. Nya truly was a strong fighter; she'd be alright.

Scarlett burst into the second room, pulling out the dagger given to her. At first the staff wasn't in sight because of the large closet and pieces of wood on the ground.

But then she noticed a box with a tight lock on it. She slid onto her knees and peeked through the small bars; and there it was, the golden relic.

"Okay... it's here. All I have to do is guard."

Though the sound of clanking and shouting from Nya and the Hypnobrai rang through her ears even though she wasn't that close to the courtyard. It bothered her immensely.

"Why are you sstruggling!? Jusst get her!"

"You're not doing any better! She'ss only a girl, she can't hold out for much longer."

"Oh yeah? I'll rip both of your tongues right out of your mouths!"

"Yeesh! Violent."

Scarlett heard another loud noise. Weapons clanging on the ground; they must have gotten physical again.

"Wait a minute..." she mumbled. "What if they hypnotize Nya? They'll make her come get me, and..."

She didn't want to think about the rest. The last thing she wanted to do was not listen to Nya, but she didn't know what was going on out there; she may have needed some type of help.