iii | Hypnobrai's Awakening

"Kai, your sword!" Scarlett shouted, pointing at the flaming blade in alarm.

"It's burning, why is it burning!?" Jay cried with widened eyes.

The ninja in red continued to try and attempt to keep a grip on the sword. However, he couldn't for much longer; it practically jumped out of his hand and upon hitting the ground, spread its flames.

A circle of fire dispersed before it created a line. The blaze rapidly moved throughout the entire courtyard, and though it wasn't the largest in existence, it was definitely daunting.

Cole tried stabbing at it with his scythe like an idiot. Jay and Zane flipped forward to avoid getting burned.

Kai even tried looking for his weapon; he thought if he could channel his power and control it, he could get rid of the fire. But when locating the sword and picking it up, it scorched his hands.

"Motherfucker," he sweared, practically throwing the weapon in the air. It was clear he could not make use of his own element.

When he tossed the sword, nobody expected it to fly toward the stair where Scarlett sat. Her eyes shot open as she held her hands out to block her face and prepare for impact.

Though she ended up catching the weapon instead. It had been a few seconds before she realized this, and when she did, she slowly lowered her head.

Because she didn't feel a single thing; aside from the sword itself, of course. It was still hot and blazing, but her hands weren't the least bit warm. Her hands weren't searing. Nothing was happening.

A crooked and worried smile crossed her face. Scarlett stared at the golden blade with trembling eyes.

"H... uh?"

"Girl, let it go!" Jay screamed.

The thought finally occurred to her, oh shit, he's right. She chucked it away from her and the ninjas before the situation could escalate.

Jay's shout was what brought the attention of Wu and Nya, as they were out a few seconds after. He did not look happy and rushed through the fire to pick up Zane's shurikens.

Nya yanked at Scarlett's arm. "What are you sitting here for? You're gonna get burned!"

"No I'm not..." The teen got to her feet, showing Nya her hands; they were only slightly reddened, but not at all major and appeared to just need a few hours to clear up. "Look! I... touched the sword."

"Huh!?"

Wu tossed the shurikens into the air, closing his eyes and holding his hands together. In just a few seconds, the pair of weapons were lined up with each other and released a large trail of ice droplets. It gracefully floated throughout the courtyard to extinguish the flames. Even Jay, who had a little bit of fire at the foot and was jumping around, felt the refreshing sensation.

When the weapons came back into his hands and everything was calmed, the sensei gave each of his students an angry glare. "What were you thinking?"

"Uh, we were trying to figure out who was the Green Ninja," Jay answered like a fool. Zane hit him in the head; well-deserved. "Ow! I mean, did I say Green Ninja? No, sorry, ahem, what I said was lean!"

Now he knew what the commotion was all about. A disapproved sigh left him. "You were not supposed to see this."

"But Sensei, we wanna know," Kai persisted. "Which one of us is the chosen one?"

"None of you—" Wu snapped, "—if you don't unlock your full potential."

"But my sword, it was so bright! Is this what you meant by unlocking our golden weapons?"