xxxvi | Terrorized Ninjago

"It's..." Cole released the biggest sigh of relief. "It's gone."

And while they lamented the loss of their home, they were grateful all of them managed to escape with their lives. They realized that was more important as the male ninjas lowered their masks. The teen had done so ages ago.

Kai glanced down at Scarlett. With the way she continued to press her body into his, grabbing onto his garments, he couldn't bring himself to let her go yet.

"I'm sorry for hitting you. That was uncalled for."

She swallowed lightly. While she was definitely at least calmer than before, her body still shook. "It kind of was... but I needed that wake up call. Granted it didn't really work, but I still needed it nonetheless."

He dared to smile. "I take it I'm forgiven?"

Scarlett looked up at him, a small frown on her face. "Oh... I could never truly be mad at you for long."

Zane was the first to stand up. "There's no time to rest. We need to warn people before it becomes bigger!"

"Bigger? Bigger!?" Jay shrieked as he jumped to his feet. Noticing the large hump in the ground slithering away, he panicked. "That thing in one big ass fucking bite crushed our entire ship!"

He started pacing around, rapidly muttering to himself. "We need to save as many as we can. Uh, we'll find some sort of refuge, somewhere safe to hide. Ooh, the Serpentine Tombs! Yeah, they're underground. Sure, we'll be without sunlight for months, but they're perfect!"

"Um..." Scarlett hesitantly spoke. "Isn't the Devourer... underground? And like, as we speak?"

"Scarlett. Shut the fuck up."

Cole walked over and smacked him on the shoulder. "What, you just gonna give up?"

Jay aggressively whipped his head to angrily face him. "You know as well as I do, we have absolutely zero chance at stopping that thing!"

Sensing a coming argument, Kai released Scarlett to his dismay. He instead stood in front of the two ninjas, a hand on each of their chests to push them away from each other.

"Stop it! Listen to yourselves. Is this what Sensei Wu would've wanted? Us fighting? Running and hiding? Giving up?"

"But..." Even with his mask on, it was easy to tell how upset Lloyd was. "He's not here anymore."

If their morale wasn't down already, that sure did them in. They all either shut their eyes or glared at the ground.

But Kai wasn't having it. He now stood in front of all his teammates, somewhat pacing. "But his teachings live on. Sensei once told me it's not the size of a ninja in a fight, but the size of the fight in the ninja.

"All this training, all of these battles we've had with the skeletons and the Serpentine. We've persevered through so much, we can't just give up now! A ninja never admits defeat. A ninja always picks themself up when they are down. Which is exactly what Sensei Wu would want us to do right now."

His words brought them all back. He was right. If they didn't stop the Devourer, then who would? The people relied on them.

And it is what their sensei wanted.

Scarlett gazed up at him with a small smile. She may not have known of the skeletons they fought against, but she did the snakes. Even if she just started properly controlling her powers, she was with them the whole time.

She saw a little bit of Wu in his sudden surge of maturity. He wasn't such a bad guy after all.

Though Zane was asking the real question, now. "But how do we destroy a snake of that magnitude?"