Episode 60: The Promise of the Fallen

There was a light at the end of the tunnel. 

For a minute she had thought she was dead, but it couldn't be - she could still feel, still move, every limb. But it was dark; she couldn't see anything. 

Except that light at the end of the tunnel. 

It was mesmerizing. It was a single point of light, casting into the darkness all around her. She began to move towards it, slowly at first. 

The light barely moved. It seemed to be very far away. She went faster now, jogging, running, sprinting. 

She reached desperately for the light. Her arm was stretched in front of her - she could see its silhouette blocking out the glow. It was getting closer, ever closer, ever brighter . . . 

~~~

The white was everywhere, inside her eyes. There was a slight ringing as something came into view . . . A face . . . 

"Huh . . .?" Akuma groaned intelligently. 

"Don't you fear," said the woman. Her voice was gentle. 

Around her, light seemed to radiate. Her hair was long, hanging down the sides of her face, and blue, and as her face came into focus, Akuma saw that her eyes were a deep blue, like her own, yet they reflected back more light, somehow. 

The woman stretched out her hand, and Akuma took it, standing. The expanse around them was blank and white, except for the woman standing in front of her. 

"What's going on?" Akuma asked, her voice echoing. "Have we . . . met before?" Even as she said it, there was something oddly familiar about the woman. "Are you my mother? Are you a spirit?" 

The woman laughed softly and warmly. "No. I am not your mother, Akuma." 

"Then . . . who are you?" 

"In due time, child. In due time." 

"Where is this? I feel like I've been here before too . . ." 

"Yes, you have," the woman smiled. "And we have met before, though not formally. Your power is growing." 

"What happened to the others? They . . . the demons . . ." Akuma trailed off as she struggled to remember what had happened after Souruk had appeared. 

The woman became serious. "They are . . . alive. As are you." 

"Oh . . . kay. But . . . how do you know that? How do I know that this isn't real? What if I'm just dreaming?" 

"Shh, shh," the woman hushed softly. "Patience, child. All shall be clear. Your friends are holding up well. Some are badly injured, and some are simply unconscious. Some are still awake and fighting for their lives. But I will help you survive this if you will listen to me." 

Akuma was silent for a moment. "But I don't know who you are." 

The woman put her hands on Akuma's shoulders. "I am a part of you. For now, that is all you need to know. You are gifted, and you are strong, but you are not ready." 

"So then what do I need to do?" 

"Listen to me carefully, my child. If you go back into the world, there is a very good chance you will die. I perceive you already know this," the woman explained. 

"I assumed I already was dead when I got here," Akuma agreed. "I know how dangerous demons are." 

"Of course you do," the woman nodded. "There is no way you can slay Souruk, not in its current state, and not surrounded by thousands of other demons. You aren't ready for such a feat. Someday, but not now."