Episode 59: The Soulkeeper

"We'll be a bit behind the main party, with our Captain, but if we move quickly, we'll only arrive a day later - give or take," the Army of Sekai soldier explained to Heishi while the others were getting on their armors and sharpening their weapons. 

"Good," Heishi agreed. "Besides, splitting up the main powers is less dangerous in case a demon attacks." 

"That's what the Captain said," the man replied. 

Heishi nodded. "She really has that army together." 

"Her husband was a military genius, they say," said the soldier. "'Course, I never met him myself, and a demon did him in years ago, but I'd imagine she'd have to be something else to marry him - or at least she'd pick up a few things." 

"Not to brag, but I've been told I'm not bad myself in strategy," Heishi smiled, blushing. 

"Really now." 

"I was head guard in Hana Firudo for a while," he added. 

The Army of Sekai man whistled. "Well, that's something else. 'Course - maybe that's not much around here, with the Sureiyazu, but I can appreciate that. Hana Firudo's known for its tight security. What ever made you leave a job like that?" 

"I tried to save Yuri's life and, ah, I abandoned my post," Heishi said, well aware he was leaving out much of the story but remembering that no one was allowed to know who she was. "The queen didn't like it . . . But demonslaying has its perks." 

The man smiled. "An honorable cause, still, no matter if she liked it or not. You know, someone with your promise, I'm sure Captain Rin would be happy to have among our ranks - officially, not just along with the Sureiyazu." 

"Ah, well," Heishi sighed, glancing at his teammates. "I've been considering it." 

Their conversation was suddenly cut short, however, when a squeal erupted from the other side of the room. 

"Yes!" Shinrin shrieked. "We finally get to do something awesome! We're history in the making - bringing the fight to Jufuku, aw yeah!" 

"You just stole all of my catchphrases," Kasai muttered. 

Netsu looked on at Shinrin less enthusiastically. "You know we'll basically dissolve if we go there, right? We'd be way less powerful." 

Shrinin momentarily stopped celebrating. "Oh, right, yeah. But it'll still be cool. I've never been there." 

"For good reason, you've never been there - you know, because it's the closest thing to death that we can experience. Our essence will evaporate," Netsu groaned. 

"But it'll still be cool," Shinrin argued. 

"Fine. Whatever. It'll be really cool when we die." 

"Will you guys ever shut up?" Yuri grumbled. Then, skipping over to Heishi, she asked happily, "Ready to go?" 

"We are," Heishi said. "We're kind of waiting on everyone else though." 

"Then we wait together!" Yuri smiled, grabbing hold of Heishi's arm. 

"Ah, young love," said the Army of Sekai soldier. 

Yuri and Heishi blushed simultaneously. 

~~~

Rin reached down and touched the sooty ground, rubbing some of the ash between her fingers. Around her, the ancient debris spread, with ruins of what had once been a flourishing village, one of the largest communities in ancient Sekai.