Holiday Special!

Hi again. It's another special for another holiday . . . as you probably already knew. 

Just a fair warning, though: this one is actually important to the plot. So you have to read it. Or not. You'll just not understand what's happening. 

<><><><><>

"Joyous Holyday, everyone!" Yuri cheered, throwing glitter everywhere that landed on everyone's heads. 

"Watch out, the tree is coming through," called Aya, carrying a large tree that was being stuffed through the door frame by Hachirou and Heishi. They set it down in its specially made platform, and everyone cheered. 

Yuri immediately ran over ad began throwing all sorts of decorations on it - glitter and ornaments and other sparkly things. 

"I'm not sure that's really in the spirit of keeping nature alive during winter," Aya muttered as Yuri danced around the already sparkle-laden tree. 

"Too late now," Heishi shrugged. 

"I kinda like it," Kasai said. "It's cool lookin'." 

"Too flashy for me," Hachirou shook his head, "but not quite flashy enough for world-renowned demonslayers. Hold on. Yuri, can I see that star?" Yuri handed him a glittering star ornament, which he reached up to the top of the tree to put on. "There. Now that is too flashy for anyone." 

There were murmurs of agreement, but no one moved to change it. 

~~~

"When's everyone going to get here, anyway?" Akuma asked Aya later. 

"Hopefully after we finish making all the food," Aya replied irritably. "But Shinrin and Netsu are extremely slow and Taichi is annoyed when they breathe. And he isn't their Summoner so they don't like to listen to him." 

"So they'll be here . . ." 

"Ah, right," Aya remembered the original question she'd been asked. "Yuuto wrote not long ago that it would be a couple of days before the Sobi-sha get here. I believe Makoto is coming, but he's . . . cranky, as usual, and apparently he doesn't like parties. Sayaka will be here today or tomorrow . . . Is that everyone?" 

"I think so," Akuma said. "Did you invite Yuri's mom?" 

Aya made a disgusted face. "I did, but she wrote back very quickly to explain how she had more important things to do besides come to a party hosted by commoners . . . and my - ahem - subtle hints at Yuri she completely ignored." 

"I see," Akuma nodded, and that was the end of it. "But it's still a pretty good turnout." 

"If I may be so bold," Ryou interrupted, coming through from the kitchen area with an armful of cookies, "this is a terrible turnout. Turnout happens at the party, not when people respond. They could still be eaten by a demon by then." 

Akuma furrowed her eyebrows. "Not funny, Ryou. Where are you going with those cookies, anyway?" 

"Oh, these? I'm gonna eat them, duh." 

"Those are for the guests!" Akuma objected. 

"Relax, Akuma," Ryou said casually, taking a bite of one. "You've got more people living at the castle than people you're inviting. And besides, I'll be at this 'party' too." 

"At least wait until then to eat them all then," Akuma sighed. 

"Will do. You want one?" he asked. 

"No! What did I just finish saying?" 

"I'll have one," Aya said, taking a cookie. 

"Oh, come on!"