Episode 54: Three of Seven

It was to be a minor demon this time, nothing important, and so they left everyone behind to go and slay it. 

"Just like the old days," Kasai sighed. "Isn't it?" 

"Ah, yes, the quiet that means we've brought a reasonable number of people along," Aya said happily. 

"And the quiet that means we'll probably gain some more," Akuma added. 

"More friends!" Yuri cheered. 

Kasai and Aya grumbled. 

~~~

While they waited for the demon - who came around the town to terrorize people each day around noon, for an unknown demon-y reason - the Sureiyazu were staying in the orphanage. 

"I can't decide if this is heartwarming or really sad," said Akuma. 

"It's . . . one of those . . ." Kasai said, looking around at the children eating at all of the tables. Their food looked anything but appetizing, but they ate it all hungrily. 

"We're so sorry," the owner of the house apologized, "but our town doesn't have a proper inn. This isn't really fit for demonslayers of your stature, I know . . ." 

"Don't mind it," Yuri smiled. 

Just then, from behind them, a door opened and a young girl with short, teal-colored hair walked through, carrying an armful of fruits and vegetables in lots of different bags. 

"Excuse me!" she said awkwardly, hurrying through. She went on to go into the kitchen to store the food. 

"Who was that?" Kasai asked curiously. "She doesn't look much younger than us." 

"That was Minako," the owner replied fondly. "You're right, she's fifteen." 

"Like me!" Yuri said. 

"She used to be one of the orphans here," the owner went on. "She was so nice to the other kids, and she's come by to help out ever since she turned thirteen and was able to leave. She's very kindhearted, but she says it's just so she'll have something to do, since she lives alone." 

Minako had come back by then. "Oh, she says that to everyone. She makes me out to be a hero." Minako laughed, but then abruptly stopped, as if to appreciate that there were true heroes in front of her. 

Aya thought for a moment. "You don't have to slay demons to be a hero." 

"I knew you would say that," said Minako, and she turned back to the tables to help out. 

~~~

"There it is!" Kasai yelled. 

Right on time. 

From above them came a demon, small as expected, with an ugly face and leathery wings. A minor thing, but fearsome for what it was. 

People began to clear out from the streets, recognizing. 

"Please, get out of the way!" Akuma called to the citizens still scattered around. They moved. 

Except for one. 

There was a little boy, one of the kids from the orphanage, sitting dead in the middle of the street, too small to have understood, staring blankly at Akuma.