Episode 49: Inochi

"Oh, I remember you, alright," Kasai growled, a hatred burning in her chest for the demon hotter than the sun. 

All of the other demons were gone now. It was just the Sureiyazu and the demon made of fire. He was easily three times as tall as any of them, and he only had vague facial features in the constantly burning flame. 

"I'm glad," it laughed. "That will make it all the more fun to burn you to ashes."

"You're the one who's going down!" Kasai yelled, Inochi at her side, nearly humming with anticipation. 

"I see you still have that katana," said the demon.

This momentarily froze Kasai as the memories seemed to radiate from the blade. 

But no. She wouldn't be distracted by the demon's tricks. This was her chance. This was the chance she'd been waiting for forever. 

"Kasai," said Hachirou hesitantly, "what's it talking about?"

"We've met before," Kasai said quietly. Somehow she was even more menacing when she spoke quietly - as if she was trying to hold back her power, as if she was under control of her emotions and was itching to let go. "But this . . . this is the last time we'll ever meet. I'm going to get my revenge."

And Kasai sped forward then, faster than she'd ever gone before, her enhanced speed landing a blow where the demon's essence would have been - 

If it hadn't moved.

In a whirlwind or fire, it had moved itself several yards to the right of where she had landed. 

Kasai swore. "He's been preparing for this too."

The fiery demon laughed cruelly. "No, little child. I have been reforming."

"My name," Kasai growled, anger beginning to take over, "is Kasai!"

"And my name," is hissed, "is Dakufaia."

Kasai's breath caught in her throat. Flames of the past danced behind her green eyes -

"Ready yourselves," Akuma yelled behind her. "Come on."

The others were in line, weapons at the ready -

"No," Kasai said simply.

"Wh-what?" Akuma asked. 

"No," she repeated. "This demon is mine. I don't want your help."

"Kasai -" Akuma started again.

"I need to do this on my own," said Kasai. "It's nothing personal. I just need to."

Akuma, against her better judgement, nodded. 

Kasai branished Inochi, slowly stepping forward, closing the distance between her and the demon. Who would attack first? Both were equally as ready, poised to respond to the slightest movement from the other. 

And it all happened in a blur - their battle. 

Kasai was in the air, swinging her katana this way and that, while the demon laughed and swatted at her and she dodged - 

Finally a blow hit her and she skidded into the ground, leaving a trail of moved dirt behind her.

For a moment everything was still.

And then Kasai grinned and picked herself up off the ground to launch herself towards the demon again.

Their battle was heavily one-sided. With every move that Kasai made, even with her extra speed, seemed to have an arm of fire on the other end that would catapult her back in the direction she came.