Episode 6: A New Mission

Akuma was enjoying the gardens more than she thought she would. The rest of the Sureiyazu didn't seem to appreciate them much, and they hadn't even mentioned them on the initial speed-tour she had had. So, when she discovered the castle had its own garden, she decided to take a look.

The well-kept plants were neat and green, and the sparkling waterfalls gurgled softly. There was so much peace here. It was a good place to think.

Akuma heard someone walk into the garden behind her. When she turned around, she saw it was Master Shi.

She bowed. "Hello, Master," she said. He nodded to her.

"The gardens are beautiful," she added.

A sadness entered his eyes as he replied, "I had a friend who loved these gardens. I keep them for her."

Akuma felt inexplicably sad for the master. Whoever this girl was, it was clear he cared for her.

"Would you like me to leave you to think?" she asked. It seemed like he needed some time alone.

"If convenient," he said, nodding. Akuma nodded back, thinking how odd it was for a master to be asking the student if something was convenient. She left the gardens, wondering who it was that Shi was thinking of.

~~~

"We have a new mission," announced Aya when she was finished drinking her tea. It was becoming clear to Akuma that it was a habit of Aya's to drink her tea at the exact same time of day every day, and the rest of the team had to patiently sit and wait for her to be done.

"What is it?" asked Kasai.

"A minor demon," answered Aya, waving her hand as if that might be enough to slay it. "It doesn't even have a name. It shouldn't take too long to slay it."

"So demons without names are less powerful?" asked Akuma.

"More like less intelligent," said Kasai. "If they realize they don't have a name, they give themselves one." Akuma nodded.

"Can we kill it today?" asked Yuri.

After draining what drops of tea were left in her cup, Aya said, "We could probably leave now and be back by tonight."

"It's that weak?" said Akuma.

"As I said," repeated Aya, "it has no name."

~~~

This demon seemed to live in a forest. Unlike the last time Akuma had traveled with the Sureiyazu, this time it did seem like a place a demon would want to be. The dark trees created a canopy that blocked out the sun, and the air was cold and dark. She kept hearing rustles of something moving, but could never tell what it was. She held her kyoketsu shoge at the ready, in case the demon showed itself.

When they came to the Demon's Domain this time, there was no hole in the ground. According to Aya, it was connected to the cave that lay in front of them. Inside it looked dark and brooding. Compared to the cave, the forest looked like a happy place to be.

Aya tapped her staff on the ground and the crystals at the top began to glow softly. The team headed inside. At first Akuma didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Neither did the others. They realized it was there when it was already too late.

Why did they always have to fall into the Domains? Akuma picked herself up off the ground, and - no, not ground, air. There was no floor, yet she could still walk. It seemed that there were no walls either. Just infinite space. It was even stranger than Tsugu's Domain.