Episode 2: The Demonslayers

Hikari was wandering. She wasn't really sure what she was looking for or going, but she was feeling the need for fresh air. Lately it had been like a dark cloud of hopelessness had been hanging over her head, and she hoped having sunlight on her face and wind in her hair would relieve her of it. It didn't, but it felt good nevertheless.

She stopped and stood by the tavern, one of her favorite places not because of the drinks that were served there, which was why most people liked it, but because of the conversations she could overhear and the rumors she could listen into. She didn't mean to be nosy. It just happened.

Standing near the entrance, Hikari pulled her hood down over her eyes so she wouldn't be recognizable. Then she stood against the wall and listened.

At first she didn't hear anything of interest. In fact, no one in the bar seemed to be talking at this moment. Then she heard one word: "Sureiyazu."

Sueiyazu? Here? Did that mean . . . there were demons nearby? Hikari did something she'd never done before - she walked into the bar. It was deathly quiet inside, but clear who everyone was looking at. Three girls, around her age, were walking up to the bartender. One wore bright colors and carried a katana, one was blond and grinning, and the last was standing straighter than Hikari had previously thought humanly possible and had a staff in a sling on her back.

Everyone's attention turned to the door when Hikari entered. It was the only sound in the room as it closed.

"No, no, that's okay," the brightly dressed girl told the people in the bar, "I know we're important and everything, but really, go on having fun. Don't stop 'cause we're here." At this, slowly people began talking again, and the bar was soon filled with the usual sounds of voices.

As for Hikari, she was frozen in place as the team of Sureiyazu inspected her. She had hated when the men in the village looked at her, but this was almost definitely worse. A group of the most famous and skilled demonslayers in the world staring at her was much more terrifying. Especially if they figured out what had happened to her, what she had done . . .

"Are you okay?" asked the girl who stood up too strait. Hikari nodded, which seemed about all she could do at the moment.

"Yeah, um, we're just going to get our drinks and go then," the perky girl announced, and turned towards the bartender to order.

"Well, if you need anything, that's what we're for," added the bright-clothed girl, resting her hand on the hilt of her katana. She then turned to join her blond friend. The girl with the staff followed her.

Hikari watched the Sureiyazu - the most skilled demoslayers in the world - order drinks like any other people wandering through town. With their backs turned from the rest of the people there, they began speaking in low tones that only someone who cared enough to listen could hear. Such as Hikari.

"This demon . . . Tsugu? He's going to be stronger than normal demons we face," the bright haired girl's voice said. Hikari's blood went cold. Tsugu. The demon who had ruined her life. Who had changed everything. Who was the reason she couldn't look in the mirror, or hear her voice.

The perky girl, suddenly not so perky, nodded and said, "I know. I feel it too."

"I wish we knew more about this demon, though," added the girl who walked too strait. "A demon this powerful doesn't just appear."

"We could use that fourth person . . ." said the bright haired one under her breath.

"You're slaying Tsugu?" asked Hikari, almost startled by her sudden bravery. The Sureiyazu jumped.

"Yes, we are . . ." replied the teenager carrying a staff, hesitantly.

"You wouldn't mind having some help, would you?" continued Hikari. "I have a score to settle with that monster." That wasn't all of it, though. She wanted her old life back.