Episode 14: Divided

Aya was drinking her tea.

It was a sunny afternoon and the Sureiyazu were gathered at the low table to wait while she drank. It was easy to be quiet this time, though - everyone was grieving.

It was Aya who broke the sad silence. "We'll have to accept it," she said tiredly. "He's gone."

Kasai and Yuri nodded, but Akuma knew they didn't really agree. She had only known the master for a week or so and yet it felt so wrong that he was gone. She couldn't imagine what it would be like for the others.

"He will finally get to see Asuka again, though," Akuma said. "Once he finds his way back."

"Who's Asuka?" asked Yuri, the slightest trace of curiosity in her voice.

"Oh, I never told you," Akuma realized. "She was one of the original four Surieyazu. Apparently Shi liked her - as in -"

"Ah," said Aya, cutting her off. Akuma clamped her mouth shut. No one else was in the mood for talking, she told herself.

"I remember you telling Shi that Asuka was there," she continued. "That day . . ."

"What happened, that day?" asked Akuma. "I mean, when I hit him, I didn't mean to -" She stopped herself again. She knew she had been the one to kill him.

But Aya answered. "It was your spiritual energy. That, and your determination and hope. Things a demon would never understand."

Silence crept back in, slowly. Before it could fully take hold, however, Aya spoke again. Or rather, shouted.

"Why did you have to do it?!" Aya exploded. "Why? The master was the only person I trusted! He was the one who made me realize again what it is to care for someone! He took me in, gave me shelter and training. Gave me a life again! And now he's gone and you killed him, Akuma! You killed him!"

The teacup hit the opposite wall and shattered as Aya ran from the room, tears falling like raindrops.

Kasai made a "hm" noise and also headed out the door, hand on Inochi's hilt.

Yuri said nothing as she followed.

Akuma wondered if they felt the same way. She didn't blame them.

~~~

"We need to do something," Aya said the next day. The team was gathered in a circle in the room where Master Shi had usually sat and meditated. None of them dared sit in his spot, though, as if he might come in any minute and sit with them.

"Something to get our minds off . . ." Yuri added, trailing off because she and everyone else knew what she was going to say. 

"Yeah, okay." This was from Kasai, who was sitting cross-legged and grasping her katana so tightly that her knuckles were white. 

"How about we go into town and get something to eat? Then maybe we could window shop or something like that." As usual, Akuma was the only one who could manage a long sentence.

"Okay," said Aya, standing as if she didn't need further persuasion. Kasai and Yuri stood with her, and a second later, Akuma joined them on their way out the door, delayed by surprise at their sudden agreement.

~~~

The town was large and colorful. Shops dotted the streets, and stands of food caused intoxicating aromas to waft into the streets. Bright colors were draped on clotheslines and in various windows, advertising different clothing styles and options. The team chose a small restaurant to eat at and went in.