Episode 38: Tora and Aya

Light poured into Akuma's senses, filling all her awareness with the outdoors. After the initial feeling left her, she looked around to find that they were in the same place they had started, in the street in the wizard village on the mountain.

"Woah," said Heishi. "The sun."

"Yes, Heishi," Kasai said sarcastically. "That means it's daytime. That's what gives us all our light."

Leaves rustled in the wind. It was a reassuring sound, somehow, that they were in the real world again, that the Dark Dimension had been left behind.

"But . . . how are we here?" asked Mizuki. "Wasn't I about to die because of Yuri's weird soul?"

A bird chirped, as if in reply.

"If I had to guess," Aya said, "it would be because we solved all of the problems the Dark Dimension gave us. We won, in a sense."

"Wonderful," said Taichi. "But now what do we do?"

"Good point," Akuma admitted. "We could -"

"You're still here?" asked a slightly bored and yet annoyed voice.

"Makoto?" asked Aya.

"Yes," he sighed. "I don't magically disappear when you're not hurt. I was going to get some food."

"Food," said a voice that could only be Tora from down below. "Food is good."

"Why you had this useless Summoner's Creature following you around, I have no idea," Makoto said. "He eats food like there's no tomorrow."

"Food," Tora agreed.

Aya smiled a little. "So why is he with you now?"

"Well," Tora explained, "food is good, but there's one thing that's better. And that's being around a Summoner's energy. Very relaxing."

"You're a -" Aya began. She didn't even finish for surprise at Makoto's identity.

"Used to be," Makoto corrected her. "I told this stupid cat not to tell anyone."

"But could you -" Aya tried again.

"I don't teach anymore either," Makoto said sharply. "All these magics, and all anyone uses them for is to kill each other. If it was my decision, I'd have magic die out altogether."

Aya was visibly defeated. "I apologize. You're right."

"Hmm? You're not going to insist I teach you then?" asked Makoto.

"No, of course I won't," Aya said. "You have given your reasons why you won't Summon again, nor will you teach anyone else. I won't force you."

"Ah, well," Makoto said. "Maybe I could show you something."

~~~

A few minutes later, they had followed Makoto back to his house and were in his living room - a stuffy place with lots of books and dark furniture - preforming a traditional Summoner's ritual.

"There," said Makoto. "Now just swear to always be loyal to each other and shake hands. Or . . . paws, as the case may be."

Aya knelt down to Tora. "I will always be loyal to you."

Kasai snickered.

"And I to you," Tora said, bowing his head and raising his paw.

Aya took it and shook it awkwardly.

Tora shivered. "Wow. I forgot how weird it felt to be serving a Summoner again."

Aya stood. "Are we really bound now, Makoto?"