Chapter 4: Savior

Two men barged into the room.
Lizbeth screamed once more, not in fear but in relief.
One of the two men -the younger one- looked around the age of 19. He had dirty blond hair and green eyes that Lizbeth could see from across the room. The other one looked somewhere around his early thirties, with short dark hair and a slight stubble. Both of them had pistols.
"Hunters," Daniel hissed, picking up a cleaver from the table. The younger man looked nervously to his father, and then to Lizbeth. He then sprinted towards Daniel.
Daniel hacked the cleaver downward. The boy ducked and swerved to the side, narrowly avoiding the blade. He sprayed Daniel with what appeared to be water. But when it hit him, it did something that water never does.
Daniel hissed in pain as it burned his skin. Lizbeth then watched as the older man belted out a few phrases in what sounded like Latin.
Daniel stopped moving, and flinched.
He flinched again.
He fell down as spasms racked his muscular frame. Black smoke exploded out of his mouth, arms and legs flailing, aimlessly kicking and punching the furniture.
Finally, when the black smoke cleared, Danny went still.
Too still.
Lizbeth screamed when she realized what had happened, why his eyes were closed and refused to open.
Daniel Constance, the brother she loved more than anything in the world, her only remaining family member, was dead.