Chapter 39 - The Answer

REWRITTEN

Keith's POV

    I seriously, whole-heartedly did NOT want to tell Jo-Je. What if she tells David, and exposes our plan. Knowing that David and Walker are brothers does not help our case because they could be secretly working together.

    I'm not stupid, I think they are already cooperating with one another. When I spent my time with Walker, all of those years, I learned pretty quick about all the secrets that Walker has been hiding, and as you most likely know already, I've threatened to expose them.

   I open my eyes the slightest bit and spot Jay with her head down, resting it on top of her crossed arms. Her hair fell around her shoulders, wisps were slowly being blown from the fan. I don't know how long we've been in here, but I honestly don't even care.

   We've been going non-stop this past month, at it drained us of energy. And the worst part was, well...

   The worst part was knowing that I'm the reason why Jay is in pain. I'm the reason why her summer is basically ruined. I should have just left alone that night, but I was too selfish. I wanted her all to myself and I wanted her comfort, seeking it in her eyes and her touch.

   She always managed to calm me down somehow, and nothing can stop me loving her.

   I just wont let it die, because sometimes I can feel her when she's not around.

   That's how strong our bond really is; and I never, and I mean never want to let her go. She is very important to me and I can't afford for her to leave, I can't afford to leave.

   This is why I'm against telling Jo-Je, I don't want her to tell us "no".

   ***

    It was around five when I heard Jay stirring in her sleep. She slowly lifts her head and rubs the haziness out of her eyes. Then her beautiful green eyes land on me.

   "What time is it?" Her voice is hoarse because of just waking up.

   "It around five." I simply answer. Jay's eyes widen, but she says nothing. Instead she keeps her gaze on me.

   "Are you ready to tell her?" She asks.

   What I want to say is 'heck no!' But I know it is the right thing to do. I have no right to leave Jo-Je in the dark, just like what I was planning to do to Sandra, but Jay told me that it wasn't a option and that I had to talk to her.

   And she was right! I was able to figure out that Adam or should I say Liam is my lost brother. Sure, it did hurt him a lot because our mother gave him up and kept me, but still...

   It will be good in the long run. Even though he hasn't even spoken a word to me these past thirty-six hours, but I think he'll come around sooner or later...

   Hopefully.

   "Yeah, I'm ready." I say, to answer Jay's question from a minute ago. "Then we should start packing."

   Jay nods and stands up from the chair, stretching to be more awake. I stood up as well, taking Jay in my arms and embracing her tightly.

   "You are really strong for doing this with me again." I whisper into her ear and she lifts her head up to smile at me, her gaze leaving me in a daze. Her eyes sparkle in the sunlight that is peaking its way through the closed blinds.

   ***

   We walk out of the room. I'm still uncertain on how I'm going to handle this situation. I can't just go up to her and say 'hey we're leaving again and I don't know when we'll be back, but we will see you soon, bye!' It's wrong to approach it like that, but I wish is was as simple as saying that. It would make things a whole lot easier for us both.

   Well, at least for me.

   I'm brought back to the sudden realization that we are now standing in front of Jo-Je. Jay took my and in hers and gave it a tight but reassuring squeeze of confidence.

   I clear my throat. I really, really, didn't want to be the one to say it, but it was my idea in the first place.

   "uh-um." I start, my brain just an empty vacant space full of nothingness.

   Jo-Je just gives me a look of 'go on' and I struggle to formulate a single sentence, let alone a single word.

   "Jo-Je, we can't stay here anymore. W-we need t...to leave again." I say, my voice shaking a little. Jo-Je doesn't speak, so I take this opportunity to continue my unthought out sentence. "We can't stay here. I-it's too dangerous. I..."

   I'm literally having a war in my head right now, contemplating weather or not to tell her about that email from Walker I received, or just to leave it and make up an excuse.

    "I got an email, from Walker... and he knows that we are back here. And I don't want to cause you anymore trouble, so we must go. Thank you for letting us stay, it really means a lot to know that you still care for us. We will be leaving tomorrow, and will be heading to New Mexico." I say rather quickly before I can change my mind on saying the (now exposed) information that I refused to share in the first place.

   Jo-Je just stands there frozen, flickering her eyes between us both. Her expression was unreadable at first, but now a look of disagreement and sadness has swept over it.

   Then, she finally says something. Something that makes my heart beat stop. Something that I was afraid of hearing from the start.

   Her simple answer was...

   "No!"

____________

  One more chapter, then the epilogue!

HAPPY READING

Question of the day: I don't really have one right now...but thank you so much for reading and answering these weird and random questions, it means a lot to me🤓😋😊

~AlexisJadeS22

❤️❤️❤️❤️