Chapter 26 - The Alleyway

REWRITTEN

Jay's POV

"What the heck are you laughing at? You almost just got us caught and killed! Are you crazy!?"

  "I'm sorry, I just can't help the fact that the cops just flew by without even stopping to look! Thats like the oldest trick in the book!" He chuckles, although I don't see how remotely funny it is, so just stayed quiet.

  "Keith, what were you thinking, heading into head-on traffic like that? You caused a huge accident!" I protest.

  "I know, but would you rather be arrested and be put in jail or still be free and figuring out the unknown answers of who is helping Walker?"

   "I guess you're right, but still! People could have gotten hurt if they aren't already." I sit back in my chair, crossing my arms over my body, rolling my eyes.

   "Look, I'm sorry alright. I didn't mean for that to happen, but we needed to get away from Walker and the cops." Keith apologizes

"It's okay, just next time, lets try to avoid an escape plan like that." I chuckle. Keith smiles and relaxes his back into the black leather seat.

Then, I remember that we practically stole this car. "Um, Keith, you do realize that we stole, right?"

  "Yeah, I just thought of that." He twists his lips as if he had bile in his mouth.

  "What are we gonna do then?"

  "Uh, maybe park it on the side of the road and leave it there for the owners to find it?"

  "Okay, but what about the keys? We can't just leave them on top of the car for someone to steal them!"

"Just leave them in the seat, whats wrong with that?" He shrugs, giving me a look as if I was stupid.

  "Alright, whatever" I wave off, giving up. I didn't even bother to try and counter the fact that someone could break into the car, but whatever he thinks is best. I don't care.

***

  We ditch the car, leaving it parked by the sidewalk hidden so that no one would really see it. The keys were underneath the mat down by the driver's feet. I figured that it would be a safe bet to put them and in almost every show I watch, it's where they put the keys, or its where they look first for them. I don't watch much TV, but the very little that I do, I'm able to get some sort of lesson from it, as proven now.

  Keith and I pace behind the buildings and took a break by a fast food restaurant. I peer inside and from the looks of it, it seemed to be empty.

  "Should I just go in?" Keith whispers into my ear. He rests a hand on my shoulder, sparks were flying all over my body. But as soon as he removes his hand, it went cold, even though it was like eighty degrees outside today.

   "Y-yeah, you could go in. We don't want to draw attention to ourselves. Plus the worker is less likely to look up if its only you. Not me." I needed food, my body aching for just a little bit of meat. I need it now because I feel like if I take one more step, my whole body will crash and melt to ground.

  "Okay, I'll be right back. Wait here. Don't go anywhere." He says, motioning a hand for me to stay put. He then disappears behind the corner and into the shop through the side door, the bell at the top jingles as he entered. I saw him walk up the the counter, his head down. He then pulls out his phone and pretends to read an order off of it so that he could avoid eye contact with the worker. Smart.

  I would've never thought of doing that.

***

A few minutes later, he came back with a to-go bag. The food inside let off an aroma of juicy goodness. My stomach growls loud, it has been waiting for a meal, and now its finally getting one. My tastebuds are making my mouth water.

"I didn't know what to get you, so I just got you some chicken and rice."Keith beams at me, and strides toward where I was sitting and dug his hand into the bag and pulled out a rectangular bowl with a tin lid covering the top of it.

"Thats okay, thank you so much." I announce. I snatch the bowl and open the lid as fast as I could, and grab the fork that rested beside me and rip off the plastic and took in huge mouthfuls of food at a time, not able to stop myself. I couldn't help it, I was starving and weak, my body craving food.

***

  My tastebuds no longer making my mouth crave flavor. My stomach now is completely full and wasn't longing for food. It felt good to finally have energy wash over my body again. I turn my head over and saw that Keith's color returned to it's normal tanned skin tone. He no longer looked sick or pale, he looks lively with light again.

We dispose of our trash and left the back alleyway. The streets too crowded with people walking about. We can't risk being seen or caught by undercover Shadow Men. Instead, we stayed hidden within the buildings and the labyrinth that they created. As we pace, we saw homeless citizens and my heart ached. And I thought that my life was horrible. Keith donated money to them, giving each one we saw twenty dollars, I find it so sweet, that no matter if we're in need of the money, he helps others, putting them first, then him. That left us with three hundred bills. I'm not sure that will last us. Who knows how long it's gonna be until we are able to stop running.

____________

   AWE! I hope you enjoyed, this was kind of just like a filler chapter😊.

  HAPPY READING!

  Question of the day: While reading this book so far, have I made you smile at least once?

~AlexisJadeS22

  SONG UP ABOVE: Kids - OneRepublic  

   (It goes really well with the story if you listen to the words then think about what has happened so far in the story👍😋)