Chapter 22 - Lies

REWRITTEN

Keith's POV

"Now everyone knows..."

________________________________________________________

Just great! Now we most likely got everyone in Arizona looking for our faces now. This is so nerve racking! I can feel Jay's heart race as she is tense to the news playing on the TV in front of us.

"Two adolescent teenagers ran off on Sunday morning around three AM and still have not returned home. The police are out looking for them as we speak. It is believed that they are here in Arizona, and are somewhere near Phoenix. We are not able to track them with any cellular device due to the cause of not having one with them, or they have ditched the device. The police are doing everything they can to get these two teens back home safely. And because they haven't been found yet, to help we are going to put an award of a million dollars to whomever finds these teens..."

Below is two pictures of our faces, they look like mug shots...

"This is some video footage we have collected from the night the two ran away."

The whole screen takes up with the footage of Jay and I at the gas station. It played when the two drunk men came in and when we paid. The video then changed to the camera that was positioned outside. It poorly picked up two figures walking out (Jay and I). And then the two men walked out shortly after us. The video sped up fast, stopping at the point when I didn't want it to stop, the part when I punched one of the men (Jake) and I held the other one in a choke hold (Blake).

Adrenaline was flowing in my veins. I want to get up and throw the TV out the window. I can't watch it anymore. It's to painful to recall the memories of past events. My breathing picks up and so did Jay's. She was now literally on the edge of her seat, waiting for what came next. It's  as if she were to jump off the edge at any moment.

The video ended and focused on the two news anchors again.

"Now you know what these two are capable of... here is some more footage that we have collected by a neighbor. This neighbor lived next to the house that they were staying at. The two stayed with a friend or a family member, we don't know which one..."

"But we can infer that it was a close friend." The other anchor to the right chimes in.

"Yes! The neighbor to this 'close friend' loaned us some footage to help the police and citizens find or at least get a sense of what these two troubled teens can do. Now for the footage..."

Now the screen changed again. It shows a video of Brett's back porch, I recognize it immediately everything was the exact same from when we were there, the grill was against the railing and the table was lined up almost in the middle... but something threw the whole equation off. Jay and I weren't hiding behind the grill and stacked chairs, instead we stood with Brett. He was on his knees pleading for something. Then my eyes widened at the sight of it, Jay was holding a gun to Brett's head.

The camera zooms in a little bit more and I saw that her finger was locked on the trigger, Jay then lowers the gun a little so that it was aligned with Brett's sternum. It's impossible for my brain to process what happen next. The gun was shot. A single bullet came out and was imbedded into Brett's chest. He fell backwards and landed in an awkward position, both of his legs bent completely back. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jay flinch and then a single tear rolls down her cheek.

My throat suddenly feels dry. Jay's head sank into her hands and her shoulders bounce up and down slightly. and I know she's crying. She was silent though and didn't make an effort to turn around and look me in the eye. I want to comfort her, but don't know how in this situation. They made her look like a murderer. Anger and fury flare inside my stomach.

The stupid Shadow Men must of manipulated the video to make it look like Jay killed Brett. They made her seem like a cold hearted killer, which she was the exact opposite of. I rubbed the small of her back to try to comfort her, but knew that it didn't help at all.

"They made me look like a killer" she choked. "They made me look insane, they made me look like a psychopath...now everyone will believe that! What are we gonna do?!" She yells, standing up and running her hands through her hair, lacing her fingers in it in frustration. She paced back and forth and could tell she's wanting to scream.

I sprang to my feet to stop her before she threw the telephone book.

"Jay, calm down plea-"

"Calm down? I can't! This whole dang thing doesn't make sense, how did Walker know where we were staying? How did he find out and come to Denver and miraculously show up at Mr. Newman's house asking for me? Things like that aren't so easily found you know! You can't just go on the internet and search up 'where does Jay Newman live?' It's just not possible! He had to of had help, he had to!" She shouts, focusing her beautiful green eyes on me, looking straight into my eyes.

"Yeah, but who would know our information on where we live and why would they know that? They would have to be close to us right, in order to know that stuff." I inquire, Jay's right, the whole thing doesn't make sense. How would Walker know where we were to come after us like he did? It is just all very strange...
I thought that when I ran away from his apartment two years ago that I took all of my destination plans with me and hid them...

I can feel it eat away at my brain, not knowing the answers is killing me inside. I need to know the answers, and I won't stop until I know them. Some things are hard to find closure to, especially when you know that you only have half of the answer.

___________

I don't have anything to say besides thank you so much for voting and commenting!😘😊

HAPPY READING!

Question of the day: What do you think will happen next? Any predictions?

~AlexisJadeS22