Chapter 6 - The Drunk Men

REWRITTEN

   I hear nothing but the car running smoothly against the asphalt and the muffling noise from Keith's voice as I drift in and out of consciousness.

  "Yeah...well be there in a few hours...it happened, like I said it would...he's back."

Then it all goes silent.

***

The loud sound of a car door being opened and closed shut pries me away from my sleep. The sound of footsteps grew louder as they approached my door, but I didn't dare open my eyes, for I might not be able to fall back asleep once I'm wide awake.

My car door opens and I almost fall out of the car, but strong, muscular arms catch me before my body could hit the ground, holding me up. Their minty breath fans across my neck, the heat already starting to rise off my cheeks.

"Jay, we're here at a gas station, do you want to get up and stretch? We've been driving for a while, do you want anything?" Keith offers and I finally abandon the decision not to open my irises and I do. I casually open my eyelids and stare up at Keith who's very close to my face.

"I'll get up," I say, my voice hoarse and groggy from sleep. Keith backs away and helps me down to the ground. His tall six foot two figure towering over my five eight one. We walk side-by-side towards the small gas station that is set up in the middle of nowhere, there's nothing but grassy fields for miles on end. The only in or out of this place is a small two lane road, we seem to be the only ones around, not another soul to be seen.

Keith opens the door and steps aside and lets me walk in first, a bell jingles above the door, signaling our entrance into the small gas station shop. I follow in close proximity to Keith as he goes to the back were the beverages are tucked away in refrigerators.

Keith takes out a six pack of waters, at the same time that the bell on top of the door jingles again. I avert my eyes away from in front of me and focus on the two tall men that just walked in, one is wearing a cap that has a logo across the top while the other is sporting a scruffy beige jacket. They sway through an aisle, grabbing things off the shelf, I can tell that they're not entirely sober for the fact that they can't even walk straight.

Keith strides to the front, taking my hand in his, breaking my stares from the drunk men. He slings the waters up onto the counter, ready to pay.

"Wait, let me grab something really quick," I say, Keith holds off on paying and patiently waits for me at the counter while I go to get some orange fruit cups I saw on the way back to the beverages. I pace back to the front, carefully placing the two packages down on the grey countertop. Keith smiles a small smile, his eyes lighting up as he stares down at me.

"Is that all?" The cashier asks, her voice low, sounding tired.

"Yes, that'll be it," Keith says, taking out his wallet, waiting to hear the total amount of money due.

"Twelve dollars, fourteen with tax," Keith gets out a twenty dollar bill, handing it over to the middle-aged woman.

"Keep the change," he takes hold of the waters as I grab the small sized fruit cups and head out the door.

The sudden aroma of heavy liquor fills the air around me, causing me to scrunch up my nose in disgust. I place the cups in the passenger seat, and take the waters from Keith.