Chapter 5 - The Run Away

REWRITTEN

   The brilliant blue sky is clear, no clouds, only the birds soaring high and free. They fly in circles, following one another and soaring across the meadow that continued on for miles. The slight headwind ruffled my hair as I turn to face my mother.

   She peacefully sits on top of the checkered blanket, her emerald green eyes lost in the beauty of the country. We're far away from everything, all the cities and towns. I guess you can say we're in the middle of nowhere, but it's beautiful here, no distractions to mess it up.

   I hear a whistle from behind me, turning my head I see my father waving at me to come to him, and I do.  Striding along the tall grass that hits against my bare skin as I get closer to my father, I stop in front of him and stay silent.

  "What do you think? Mom and I are thinking of moving out here, away from all the trouble of the city and reality, you can finally have the life you've always wanted."

  I beam up at him, "I'd love that."

  "Yes, well we better get going now," he walks to the driver's side of our small car, and grabbing something. My mother stands, flattening her flower dress that compliments her curves perfectly, her long, beautiful blonde hair being whipped up to her face.

  "Ready darling?" She asks coming up to me, but before I could answer a loud piercing sound of something being shot fills the fresh summer air. My mother falls to her knees, my father gone.

  "Mom?!" I drop to my knees, staring down at her, something red spreading rapidly over her dress.

"Honey...run,"

***

I sit up rapidly, my hair falling over my shoulders. My breaths come out in uneven heaves as I wipe away the beads of sweat that are on my forehead.

   Just a dream, just a horrible dream...

  I inhale and exhale slowly. All the memories come flooding into my mind all at once, Keith doubled over, my hands, the glass...the mysterious man in a suit, it all comes back like a huge tsunami of thoughts. I rub my eyes and turn my gaze to the clock that is resting on my bedside table, the red numbers shedding a light red glow.

   1:47 AM

  I let out a sigh and fall back down onto my twin sized bed, I know I'm not going to fall back asleep now. A soft knock on my door rips me from my thoughts, I focus on the door, not saying a word...and I didn't have to. The door creaks open slightly.

  Who'd be here at this time of night?

  The figure steps in, I can't see their face because of the darkness that is lingering in the small rectangular shaped room. They come toward me and sit down, the bed dipping. Then I see it, the chocolate brown locks and sparkling brown eyes.

  "Keith, what are you doing here?" I ask, but he dodges my question yet again like he did earlier.

  "Pack your things, we can't stay here. It's not safe."

  "What? What do you mean we're n-"

"I'll explain everything on the way to the car, please, get your things...we have to go," his voice sounds urgent, as if we're on a time limit. I get up, not asking another thing and get my bags packed. ripping my clothes straight off their hangers and placing them in a quick fashion into my duffle bag that I hardly use.

  "Ready?" Keith asks, grabbing my bag from me and slinging it over his shoulder, heading straight to the door.

"Where are we going?"

"I'll tell you everything when we get in the car, come on, we have to go," Keith takes hold of my hand and leads me out of my room, the coldness from my body disappears at his warm touch. We make it down the stairs briskly, careful not to make a sound. I stare out of the empty window frame and see that Keith's Ford truck is running, the lights on the front dimly lit as they illuminate a small path for us to see.

  Keith opens the back door and throws my things inside, quietly closing the door and heading to the drivers side after opening my door and helping me inside the tall interior. He stays silent and cranks his neck to look behind, putting the vehicle in reverse then in drive.

   The gravel kicks up dust, and just as we were about to pull out, the lights on the bottom floor flicker on, revealing David who's running to the door. He shouts something but it's hard to make out and his voice is muffled.

  "You ready?" I nod and he places him foot on the gas petal, the truck lurching forward and down the long driveway and away from the Newman household.

I stare out the back window as the house grows smaller and smaller in the distance as we get farther away.

  "Why are we leaving?" I ask, breaking the lingering silence.

"Someone's after us, you won't understand, just relax and try to fall back asleep, I'm sorry but I had to do this, Jay, we're in danger, you're in danger," he says, his eyes flickering to me then back to the road as I give him a puzzled look.

  It doesn't make sense...

"What's that on your jaw?" Keith asks from out of the blue, then I remember. David slapping me.

"That better not be from David," his tone darkens at the mention of his name. "Is it?"

I just nod, not wanting to speak. Keith lets out a frustrated breath, running a hand through his hair furiously.

"Keith, it's alright, I'm alright," I say, trying to calm him down.

"At least now he wont be able to touch you," was all he said, leaving me in the comfortable silence as we drive down the vacant roads. We pass by speed limit signs and direction signs, they light up once the headlights reflect off them.

  I readjust my body so I'm leaning against the door, my head in my hand. I shut my eyes, not wanting to think about anything else other than sleep that was much needed. I don't know why all the sudden he decided to run, to leave behind everyone without a goodbye, but honestly...I liked it.

  I liked it

_____________

Hey! How was it? I hope it's not boring! Anyway, if you've enjoyed this chapter, please vote and comment!

  HAPPY READING

Question of the day: what is the weirdest word you can think of?

~AlexisJadeS22