Chapter 10 - Wonderings

REWRITTEN

   I stare out the elegant window, the moon shimmering. I glance to the clock that's on the wall opposite of me. 4:57 AM. I let out a breath and fall on the desk chair, not knowing what to do. The guest bedroom window faces the front of the house which faces east, giving me a clear view of the neighbor's house across the street. 

  It truly was a pice of art, the outside painted a modern brown with grey tones streaked in the paint, the moonlight shining down on the roof. Down the street,where the houses stop, there's a forest. The tall tree's shading the Earth's grounds, the leaves sway and wave in the slight headwinds, the branches shivering.

  I avert my gaze back to the clock, 5:00 AM. I stand up, my legs tingling back awake as the blood flows through my veins. Striding over the drawers of the dresser, I pull it open, grabbing a pair of denim shorts and a simple crimson top and heading to the bathroom, a white fluffy towel in hand.

  I strip down, stepping into the fancy shower, closing the glass door after locking the bathroom door. I turn the dial to the hot water, it comes spewing out of the faucet and as soon as I pull the lever up, the water comes shooting out of the shower head, soaking my blonde hair, making it clumpy.

  The water feels calming, soothing on my skin as it hits, making my tense muscles release and relax. I let out a sigh of pleasure and start to lather up shampoo, spreading it all over my hair and rinsing it out, I do the same thing with my conditioner, and turn the water off. Stepping out of the shower and onto the cold tile floor, a shiver runs up my spine.

   I wrap y body in a towel, then leaving the bathroom and down the hall.

***

I pull out a barstool, taking a seat and fiddling with my fingers, staring in front of me. I turn my attention when I hear footsteps coming down the wooden stairwell.

"Hey," he breaths, walking right up to where I'm sitting, "are you alright?" Keith asks, taking me into his arms, I'm caught off guard by this gesture, but return it when I find a certain comfort.

He pulls away a minute later, "were you able to get some sleep after what happened?"

"A little, maybe a good solid three hours or so, I woke up at four because I was restless," I say, moving back and forth on the spinning barstool like a little child. What? It's fun!

Keith chuckles at my action, a grin taking over his lips.

"Can I ask you something?"

"You just did," he gives me a playful smirk and I roll my eyes.

"So original," I mock compliment, "but seriously."

"Okay, you can ask me anything," he was hesitant for a second, but covered it with a smile.

"Why do I have these dreams about them, about the Shadow Men?"

"I-I don't know," he shrugs, "but I hate the fact that you're being haunted by them, I hate the fact that they're giving you nightmares," he says lustful.

"Keith-"

"I'm sorry that this happened Jay, that I took you with me, that I ruined your summer," he says, slicing through my words.

"Keith, please, don't say that. You didn't ruin anything. Just think, it's better being here than back at David's, and him you know..." I say suggestively, not wanting to think about that cruel man any longer.

"Yeah I guess...but still...I'm sorry."

"Man!" I jump at Brett's sudden entrance, "you two are early risers! It's not even six'o clock yet!"

I chuckle to myself as Keith shrugs it off, and returning to getting out cereal and a bowl.

"You get used to it, living in the Newman household," Keith says, while taking a spoonful of his cereal.

The Newman house I miss so much...

____________

This chapter was kind of just a filler...sorry if it was boring, I seriously didn't mean it. Anyway, how is this book so far?

I hope that you're enjoying it!

HAPPY READING

Question of the day: What is your favorite subject in school - if you have one😋

~AlexisJadeS22