Chapter 21 - "I'm Sorry"

REWRITTEN

The room is cold, the AC blowing, making the curtains that covered the windows wave in the breeze. I had somehow gotten under the covers, not remembering that I did it.

   Keith was passed out on the couch, his head rested on the arm of the sofa.

   I stand up and I immediately felt pain. it shot like lightning bolts in a raging storm; then I got a whiff of myself, the aroma of forest taking over my senses.

   I got to take a shower!

      I figured, since he was asleep, I could. I walk into the bathroom and get undressed. I turn the water on to the highest heat setting and step in. The water feels good on my back and my ankle, helping sooth all my pain.

   I step out of the shower and reach for a near by, pure white towel to dry myself with. The clothes that I wore were sitting on the counter near the round sink. I really need new clothes. The one's I have are stained, the blue shirt stained and the white shorts tore.

   I dry off my soaking wet legs and arms. I scrutinize myself in the hazy mirror, I have a cut across my left cheek, thought I couldn't feel anything there. There was a small bruise on my face from when David hit me a week ago, still there but it's slowly disappearing.

   I shuddered at the thought of him, but then felt sorrow for not saying any sort of goodbye to Jo-Je and the others. My stomach churned inside me, I'm feeling so homesick, I so desperately want to be home, in my own bed, and eat good food again.

   A single trader tear escapes my eye and I quickly wiped it away when I heard footsteps come toward the closed bathroom door, crunching on the old carpet.

   "Jay, you okay in there?" Keith whispers while softly knocking on the textured wooden door.

   "Yeah, I'm okay." I say, wiping another tear from my eye. My throat burns and the tears were about to spill, the barrier cracking.

   Keith opens the door and steps inside. I quickly turn my head away from his direction. don't ask why, but it is embarrassing to me when someone sees me cry. Keith saw me wipe the tears and came closer to me.

   He pulls me in his arms tightly, resting his chin protectively on my head, his strong arms securely around my body. I couldn't hold back anymore, I start full blown sobbing, burying my face into Keith's black button up shirt. I took fistfuls of his shirt in my hands and held it tightly, refusing to let go for I found comfort within him.

   "Shh ,Jay, everything's gonna be alright. I promise. No one will get to us." He cooed, running his hands through my wet hair, smoothing down the rough parts and tangles. It was hard to calm down, my heart racing. I'm scared that something is gonna happen, and I knew that if there was something being plotted by the Shadow Men, we wouldn't be able to run very far.

   There is a lot of people searching for us. The police, the Shadow Men, and the citizens of Denver. Maybe even Mr. Newman, but I highly doubt it because he hated Keith, and me. I wonder if I was ever gonna be able to see the faces of them again.

    As I thought of the good times I had with all of them, my heart slows down. The tears were now under control. They stop falling rapidly. I pulled away to look into Keith's beautiful brown eyes, smiling at him weakly.

   "I'm sorry."

   "Sorry for what?" Keith's face, puzzled. He stares down at me and I glance up at him. He placesboth his arms on either side of my waist and held me tightly.

  "I'm sorry for everything I did, I'm sorry for not telling you about the key. I'm sorry for always breaking down and crying. I'm sorry for always losing my mind, I'm sorry for-"

   Before I could finish what I was going to say, Keith took my face and closed the gap between us. Crashing his lips with mine. I feel butterflies erupt in my stomach. It was a passionate kiss and it makes me forget what I was saying. My cheeks turn a shade of red, I could feel it. Keith pulled away and smiles brightly at me. His eyes full of sympathy.

   "Jay, don't ever think about the past like that..." He says, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. "You don't need to say sorry for anything. If anything, it was my fault for having this all happen. I'm sorry, I just needed to get out and away from David. I just couldn't take it anymore; I couldn't go without you, knowing that David might harm or inflict pain on you, and that Walker might find you. And I couldn't leave knowing that you wouldn't be there with me, I would never make it on my own. I'm sorry for dragging you into my problems, it's just that whenever I look into your beautiful green eyes, you take away all the bad memories and pain. I love you Jay."

   My heart stopped at the last sentence. He really does care about me and he really does love me, and I love him back, a lot.

   "I-I love you too, Keith" I smile, the words leaving me with tingles. I did it! I finally told him!

   Keith's face lit up in joy at my words and he hugs me once again, burying his face in the crook of my neck and lifting me up and holding me tightly.

   It was only then, that I realized that I only had a large thick towel wrapped around me...

***

   Keith and I sat on the sofa. Silently watching the TV, Keith's arm is wrapped around me and I lean my head into his chest. The only channel that's on was the news. Plus it was the only entertaining one. The news anchor talking about the weather, rambling on and on.

  "Today is going to be a high of eighty two degrees, with a seventy percent chance of rain..." The anchor informs, her voice booming through the speaker. The weather woman passed it back to the main studio. It's a commercial break now. Keith let out a heavy sigh and stared down at his phone which is on the table beside the sofa. He tried to not use the phone that much, one because in case of emergency, and two because of the tracking technology they have now-a-days.

   When we don't use the phone, Keith slips out the battery and keeps it in his pocket. Keith presses the home button and the screen lit up, showing a background of all of us (Will, Eli, Adam, and Caitlyn, Keith and I) on a hike. I remember that day as if it were yesterday.

   It was fun because Mr. Newman hates the outdoors, so the whole way up we heard him complain about every single, little thing that bugged him. Which, was... practically almost everything. Keith unlocks his phone, entering in a six digit code that I remember it to be 199910, his birthday. What was ironic about it was that him and Adam had the exact same birthday too, another creepy thing to add to the list about them.

   He slid his thumb across the screen and tapped on the icon with a speech bubble on it, opening his messages. They were all still the same as before, all old, no new. Which was kind of disappointing. I would have figured that at least Adam would have messaged and asked a simple "hey where are you?!"

   Keith then turns off the phone and slid out the battery and places it on the table where it previously was before. The news was now back on and the big bold letters of "Breaking News" is now across the TV screen.

    "Breaking News, two delinquent teens have run away from their home..."

   I sat up instantly. "Oh crap, we made state news..."

   "Now everyone knows..."

   Were in trouble now.

_____________

  Hey! So what do you think? Keith and Jay are in trouble now!😎😈

HAPPY READING!

Question of the day: Which country you want to visit the most?

~AlexisJadeS22