Chapter 29 - Mysterious Woman

REWRITTEN

"Where almost there, just under thirty minutes to go!" Keith whispers into my ear excitedly. He nudges me lightly in the arm and I smile up at him.

I could see that he is starting to get tired, he had bags under his eyes and they were bloodshot from not sleeping for the past twenty four hours. Well, more like eighteen, but it felt longer than that.

"Keith?"

"Yeah?"

"Please sleep, you're so sleep-depleted." I mentally laughed at myself for the word choice. I mean, who says sleep-depleted?

"But we're almost there, there's no point in sleeping now." He protests.

"You're wasting time that could be used sleeping you know, but you just keep talking." I point out with a matter of fact voice. 

"Okay, fine. You made your point." With that, he readjusts his body so now he is comfortably leaning against the warm window. Within minutes, I could hear his light snoring. He looked so vulnerable, just like he did in that dream...

Ugh, thinking of it makes me shudder.

I fixed my hat and sat patiently, waiting for this bus ride to be over. Fiddling with the ends of my hair, I caught glimpse of that strange woman staring again. She continually stared at her phone then back at us.

Shoot, she knows who we are!

My vision isn't the best, but I could faintly see that the woman's phone was on the breaking news web page. And very well, no surprise, our faces were posted under the big head line that stated "Delinquents on the Lose".

She scrolls down the screen a little more, revealing an article. It's most likely more lies, like the ones that the news shared about the manipulated footage. Her thumb continues to move the webpage down, and at the very bottom, there is bold letters.

"If Found A 2 Million Dollar Reward Will Be Given To The Lucky Person Who Finds These Teens!"

seriously! Why are we wanted so badly? It makes me want to rip out my hair and...

Well lets not say what else.

***

"We will be at the stop in five minutes, please gather all of your personal belongings and have your tickets ready to scan, thank you for riding and hope to see you again soon!" The voice over the intercom informs.

I turn over to Keith and gave him a slight shake. "Keith, we're here, its time to wake up."

He casually opens his eyes and rubs them clear of the haziness.

"Did you rest well?" I ask.

"Yeah kind of." He says, his voice low and groggy.

I simply nod and shoot him an sympathetic smile.

"So, when we get there, how are we going to get all the way to Denver?" I ask.

"I guess just find another bus ride down there, I'm sure that there's one." He suggests

I just nod again and remain silent for the rest of the ride, which is like three minutes.

Up ahead, I saw a large bus port and a small parking lot to the side. It only had a few cars, all are covered in dust.

We truly were in the middle of nowhere.

The bus parked and opened the sliding doors for us to step off. We stayed seated until everyone else was off, then we left. I slowly stand up, trying not to show any signs of pain. But to be honest, I didn't have a good poker face, for I think Keith noticed.