Chapter 4 - Hits And Punches

REWRITTEN

   I'm petrified. Sitting here I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life. My body is shaking as thousands of scenarios run through my mind. I hear the engine being cut off and the slamming of a car door, that's when the yelling started.

"What the heck happened!"

Keith and I run down the stairs only to be met with an angry Mr. Newman. He runs his hand through hi brown locks, furious as his blazing eyes meet ours.

"Care to explain what happened?!" Mr. Newman shouts, making Keith flinch. Mr. Newman isn't exactly the nicest person, in fact he's the exact opposite, he's abusive and rude towards all of us accept Caitlyn, which is strange. The one he's mainly abusive to though is Keith, though he has no reason to be.

"Mr. Newman-"

"It was my fault!" I scream before Keith could say anything, slicing through his words. He always takes the blame for things, even though it wasn't even his fault so this time it's my turn to take the blame, not his.

"This was you!?" he points a finger at me, looking inflamed, though I don't blame him. I gulp down all my nervousness, and nod my head.

"No, this wasn't her fault, it was mine, don't blame her...it was me," I whip my gaze to Keith and give him a warning glare to not say anything more, but he doesn't take the hint, "This is my fault this happened and I'm so sorry."

"Explain what happened now! No excuses only the truth!" As Mr. Newman says this, Jo-Je's car comes up the driveway, she quickly parks and steps out of the car, her hand over her mouth as she gawks at the house, her eyes wide.

"What happened!"

"What happened was that a man came here, claiming that he had a job offer for Jay, I told him to leave but he refused to, I got angry and I couldn't contain it any longer. I'm sorry I should have never done what I did, but I went ahead and did it, I punched the man and ran back. in here. That's when he pulled out his gun and started shooting, causing all the windows to break and have Jay's hands like this," he motions toward my hands, Mr. Newman and Jo-Je follow his hand and stare at my wrapped up ones. "I'm so sorry, this is all my fault."

Mr. Newman's, nostrils flare, I don't know if he believes the story or not, which he should because it's the whole hearted truth.

"Are you two okay?" Jo-Je urgently asks, as if she completely forgot about the glass and just cared about us, which was very sweet, because David - Mr. Newman - would never do such a thing let alone care about us, sometimes I wonder what made him adopt us if he was going to be nothing but harsh and brooding.

"Get inside, I want to have a talk with you later Keith, this behavior is unacceptable and out of hand!" David shouts, Keith nods and walks back into the house, the sun is now setting, the skies turning a brilliant red shade.

David walks to the door, but I stop him before he can enter, "Mr. Newman, it wasn't his fault, it's mine, please, don't hurt him. Do it to me instead, please!" I plea.

He turns his cold stare to me, raising his hand up and swiping it across my face, my head whipping to the side harshly.

"That's enough, David!" Jo-Je shouts and he just scoffs, walking inside and muttering something under his breath, disappearing inside.

I hear a sigh from behind me, "are you okay, Jay?" I turn as Jo-Je scrutinizes me, tears rimming in my eyes and my hand is holing my cheek, still stinging.

"Yeah, I'm alright," I quietly state, staring down at all the different gravel pieces as my hair hides my face. Jo-Je takes me into her arms and tightly squeezes me, she leads me over to the back of Keith's truck pulling the back down and jumping in, patting the space beside her.

"Come sit, I want to talk to you," I do as she says, she gives me a sympathetic smile and gently takes hold of my hand, "I'm sorry for what he did to you," she says, while taking my hand off my face, examining my cheek that is bright red.

"It's alright, I-I just don't want him to hurt Keith, it's better if he does it to me instead because Keith always gets punished, and it's not fair to him," a traitor tear rolls down my cheek and Jo-Je wipes it away with the pad of her thumb.

She drapes an arm round my shoulders pulling me down and my head comes to rest on my shoulder as she rubs small circles on my back, reassuring me that everything's going to be alright.

"I want you to know something Jay, you are always so strong and you always stick up for others, in ways that no one else would. You try to protect those from getting hurt, and I cherish that about you. You're always so strong and brave, don't ever lose that, okay? You mean so much to me and don't say otherwise, you are so special and I'm so lucky to have you, I love you Jay, and nothing's going to change that, alright?"

I nod,lifting my head to stare up at her and give her a weak smile, "thank you Jo-Je."

"Of course, now you get inside now, it's getting late," I nod and jump off the back of the truck.

"Are you coming?"

"I'll be in in a bit, you go ahead inside," she says, I nod and turn to enter the house, the glass is still littering the floor and furniture. The living room is destroyed and the walls scratched. I'm about to head up the carpeted stairs when I hear whisper-shouts coming from the back yard.

"I should have known it was you that did it, you're always the one to ruin things."

Slap.

"You're always the one to destroy things."

Slap.

Keith reaches his hand up to the side of his face where the palm of David's hand connected with his cheek twice.

"I can't believe I actually let you stay here."

David balls his hand into a fist, thrusting it at Keith's chest. He doubles over in pain, his figure nothing but a silhouette under the moonlight, the city lights of Denver shining bright in the background. I turn away from the window, not willing to be able to watch anymore.

I told him not to hurt Keith, but he did. I should of known better, he wasn't going to listen, no matter what I did he still was going to take his anger out on him, and he did. Tears were now free falling down my cheeks, staining streaks on them. I run up the stairs and shut my door,flopping on my bed.

This isn't the first time I've cried myself to sleep, and this certainly wont be the last. My eyes shut as the familiar darkness clouds around me, making me fall into a deep void.

____________

Hey! How did you enjoy this chapter? If you liked it please vote and comment!!

HAPPY READING

Question of the day: what is your favorite animal?

~AlexisJadeS22