Chapter 18 - Hunted

REWRITTEN
Keith glanced at me with wild eyes. "Run."

***

   They're coming!

   I start at a bolting dash into the forest, Keith right beside me. Shouts were coming from behind us, they sounded angry and impatient as they got closer to us.

   "There they are, get them!"

   "Run! Faster, Jay, Run!" Keith yells, urging me on. He stopped to gaze back. "Go I'll catch up, go!"

   "What! No come on, they're coming! They'll take you!" I protest, not wanting to leave his side. I couldn't let him stay here, he was gonna be killed!

   "NO JAY!" He shouts at me. "Run! I'm gonna distract them!"

   I stare in the direction where the yells and grunts were coming from and watched in horror as the Shadow Men made their way through the maze of trees toward us.

   "Jay RUN!"

   I shook my head at him with a look of horror plastered on my face. "Go!" He demands, waving his hand for me to run.

   My legs just all of a sudden start moving, involuntarily. They carry me away from Keith. Tears rushing down my face, I couldn't let Keith stay there, they were gonna kill him! I can't lose him now. I keep looking back as I ran, seeing Keith's body shrink as I get farther and farther away from him.

   Seconds later, I scream as a lightning bolt of pain rushed through my right leg. I fell down, unable to carry myself.

   I glance at my leg, my eyes examining my leg down to where my ankle is. I grab hold of it and as I did, another jolt of pain made its way through my leg, I bit back a scream, my lip bleed heavily.

   Jay run!

   Those two words replay in my mind, over and over. Keith's voice echoed in my brain, urging me to get up and to keep running.

   My body and mind is running wild.

   I slowly stand up, shuffling here and there. It's challenging to try to stay balanced. My ankle causing me so much pain. It got caught in one of those deadly tree root traps.

***
Keith's POV

   They came casing up the hill. I can scrutinize them in their fancy suit and ties. They came charging after me, weaving through the tree line.

   Once they came around the corner, I saw that there was only three of them, easy.

   I stand, grabing three small stones that were below one of the pine trees. I ran behind one of the thick trees and waited until I could get a perfect shot. The three Shadow Men shout at one another continuously.

   "There up here!"

   "We almost got them!"

   "Shut up and run!"

   Within seconds, they were running right past me, oblivious to the fact where I am. I thrust the biggest rock at the leading man, hitting his foot; tripping him and came tumbling down. He didn't even know what hit him. The other two men still ran, but shortly stopp and turn to see their "Leader" on the ground.

   I threw another rock at him, this time at his head. It hit him right in the temple, lightly. His head fell and he stopped moving, he fell unconscious. Luckily the tree that I'm standing behind hid me and my black button up shirt enough so that they couldn't see me.