Chapter XXXVI: A Test

POV: Sage

"You just couldn't control yourself could you? You just had to get in trouble yet again! Honestly Sage! We don't know what to do with you!"

Another lecture, I'm not even kidding. Did you know you can get suspended for calling a teacher a bitch? Seriously! Even if it's the complete truth.

-And it's the truth.-

I know what you're thinking, so just listen. Ms. Horton is exactly that, a bitch. She's my math teacher and she can't teach for shit. I learned a little bit from some jackass freshman my parents hired to help me after I complained the first few times. It was fine until I caught him staring at my boobs. Then he starts making perverted comments and trying to ask me out. Let's just say now he doesn't even dare to look at me.

Anyway, that's not the point. Ms. Horton is. She's a bitter 50 some year old bat. She's unmarried and not happy about that fact. She gets angry because I didn't do much homework and pick arguments with her that I end up winning. That was just September. So she now has it out for me. It's unprofessional really, the way she's always making little digs every chance she gets.

Lately I've been trying to stay out of trouble, because it makes my parents so mad. Believe it or not, I don't like upsetting my parents. I just can't help all the idiots in the world. I like to call it standing up for myself. Really they should be grateful, I'm not hooked on weed or anything.

I really need to stop getting off track. So it was our first homework in a while because we had been taking some predictive tests and shit. She had given us this big packet to do over the weekend, she's one of those teachers that loves to kill every little bit of joy still left. I wanted to burn that packet, it was like ten pages!! But I took it home and did it! The whole thing! I even had one of my friends in a higher math help me. My mom said if I got a good grade she would let me use the car next weekend. By the time I was through with the damn thing, it was QUALITY WORK!

So I get there the next day, and my head is down on the desk, because it's first period and I'm flipping tired! Ms. Horton is coming around collecting he homework and when she gets to me she goes, "So I suppose that you, once again, are not turning in the homework, and you will proceed in making nothing out of your life?"

After I had tried so hard to behave, and she was still a jerk. I whipped out the packet, "Actually I do have it. Surprised?" I loved the look on her face as she snatched it away.

Ten minutes later she hands it back to me, "I took the liberty of grading yours first."

I feel my heartbeat quicken as I stare at the big red D on the paper! As I was leafing through it, I realized what she had done. I had gotten most of the questions right, and the jackass took off for every dumb thing she could find. Whole points of for not labeling an answer, or not circling half of them. She took off for me spelling 'mileage' wrong and wrote that my handwriting was 'illegible' when it wasn't! It was completely unfair!We both knew that I had worked my ass off, AND SHE HAD CHEATED ME OUT OF IT!

I stormed up to her desk, "I don't deserve this grade! YOU CAN'T EVEN TAKE OFF POINTS FOR HALF THESE THINGS!!!" I wanted to smack that pleased look off her face.

She looked at me with her wrinkly little devil eyes, "You know maybe Miss Sage, if you applied yourself more, you could do well. You know, instead of smoking behind the school, getting involved with illegal drugs, gangs, and going to crazy parties, you could study!"

I couldn't believe her accusation! Where was she getting this?! I didn't do any of those things, except go to a few parties every once in a while! And I didn't get high at them! I was at the end of my rope, "YOU LISTEN HERE YOU JUDGMENTAL BITCH! I DON'T DO THOSE THINGS! JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU CONTROL EVERYONE DOESN'T MAKE IT OKAY TO PASS JUDGEMENTS ON PEOPLE! I'M TIRED OF YOU AND YOUR SHIT! BECAUSE YOU'RE JUST A PATHETIC OLD LADY WHO HAS ALREADY RUINED YOUR LIFE, AND DECIDED TO DO THE SAME TO EVERYONE ELSE! SO YOU CAN ROT IN HELL!"

Basically after that there was some clapping, than getting dragged to the office. I didn't care, because standing up to that shitbag felt amazing. Of course now I'm stuck sitting here listening to a lecture. I know I let my parents down, but bowing down to that crap sack would be letting myself down.

My dad had been talking for a while now, and I had zoned out on all of it. It didn't matter, it was always the same speech.

My mother spoke up, "Every year, every school, it's the same thing! Do we need to find some sort of military school for girls? No one tells you what to do when your daughter is incapable of following simple rules!"

"Mom listen. I know, that teacher is a jerk though-"

She tried to cut me off.

I held up my hand, "But that doesn't make up for this. I lost my temper, I know. Just give me another chance, some way I can prove myself."

She just stared at me. My father pulled her into the kitchen to discuss.

My father sighed as he came to me, "We have decided to give you a test. Zach mentioned wanting to go on a vacation with his friends for spring break. He mentioned Florida or something. Unlike you, Zach has been good, studied hard, has A's, and did great during football season. We decided to surprise him by sending him out of the country for spring break. A sort of birthday present, because he won't get much for his birthday after this."

-Are they just trying to mock you?-

"What's your point?"

"You're going with Sage. You're going to behave yourself, and if not we will hear about it."

-What the hell?-

I honestly couldn't decide if this was a dream come true, or some kind of sick trap. My parents were loaded, that was true. Yet we didn't usually get stuff like this. I didn't have a car, and Zach only had an old used one to drive home when needed. We didn't dress like we were rich either. It wasn't exactly a secret, but we were never open about it. I knew it embarrassed Zach. I didn't like talking about it much either.

I decided to call my lovely brother.

"Hello?" He answered.

"So Zach guess what our parents cooked up his time?"

"What'd you do?" There was clear annoyance in his voice.

"Called a teacher a bitch, but that's not the point!"

"Are you seri-wait then what is the point?"

"Mom and dad are giving me a test. To see how I behave on your spring break vacation!" Too bad he couldn't see me smirk.

"They're going to let me go? For real? Where?"

Wow it didn't even bother him that I was coming. "I don't know, but they're flying us out of the country!"

Zach whooped on the other end, "I can't wait to tell Char! She'll be so excited!"

I smiled to myself glad that everything had ended up working out between those two. Who knows, maybe I would find love in some exotic country.

-Hah, your funny.-

I laughed to myself and walked upstairs. I couldn't wait to get a break from this crazy town.

A few hours later my mom knocked on my door, then barged in.

"Yes mother?"

"There's one more thing. If you get in any ounce of trouble before spring break, you aren't going and you've lost your chance to prove yourself. Love you!" She shut my door with finality.

Shit, this could prove to be a problem.

}#}#}#}#}#}#}#}#}#}#}#}#}#}#}#}#}

Wow a whole chapter from Sage's POV! Do you like Sage? What do you think of what she said to hat teacher? I'm going to try to write a chapter at least once a week. It will probably end up being more often, but I'm just busy. ISATS are coming up, not to mention it's competition season. Don't worry, that also means long car rides with lots of time to write. Now, I need your comments! (Votes are nice too.) But seriously, where should they go for spring break? I'll pick my favorite! So COMMENT!!!!!

-cc