Chapter XVII: The Truth Comes Out

POV: Avalie

I hated myself. I tried to chase after Zach, calling his name. It was no use, he was out of my sight before I could run ten feet. I stopped dead in my tracks, not knowing what to do.

Seth was behind me, his warm hand on my back. "We have to go Av."

I just nodded, unable to speak. I let Seth guide me to his truck. As soon as I was sat inside, I burst into tears.

Seth quickly ran around to the other side. He pulled me into a hug, "It's okay."

"It's not," I sobbed. "Did you see Zach's face, I'm so horrible. I don't know why I did that. I'm sorry Seth!'

He hesitated, "So you didn't...mean it. Right?"

I felt terrible, "You have to know that that was a mistake. It was a stupid mistake, and now I've gone and hurt both of you."

He hugged me tighter. Seth was amazing, my best friend. Always there for me, no matter what happened. "No, no, it's fine really."

I knew it wasn't, but I just nodded. "Thank you."

"Now let's go, today is about Daniel."

Seth was right, we pulled apart and he started the truck.

~~~

I hugged Daniel tightly, "Congratulations!!!!" I was trying my very hardest to forget about earlier.

"Thanks Avalie," the grin on his face was so cute. It was nice to see him happy again. It had been so long.

"Are you ready for physical therapy?" It was going to be his first time since moving his leg.

"I th-think so," he looked down at his legs.

"It's okay to be afraid," I nodded at Seth. He promptly picked up Daniel and carried him towards the room.

"How have things been?" I asked him.

"Pretty good, my dad's been here a lot. More than my mom. I think he feels bad about not trying very hard after the divorce."

"That's good," Daniel's parents had been divorced for almost three years now. I can't imagine what that would be like.

We worked with Daniel on the parallel bars for almost an hour. He was actually able to take a few shaky steps!

"You should be so proud!" I told him. I was feeling a lot better for now, Daniel had helped with that. He had cracked so many hilarious jokes.

Seth nodded, "She's right dude."

"Don't worry I am," he smiled.

We all laughed. It felt so good to laugh with them again, I missed my old friends. Most of them had been guys, all the girls in Preston acted like bitches.

-That's no surprise, you're one of them. The biggest one. You cheated on your boyfriend-

Kevin was right, I had to fight the urge to cry again.

-Man up girl! Today is for Daniel!-

A nurse came into the room, "I have some good news. Daniel is being discharged today."

I jumped and squealed for him.

"Wait," Daniel paused, "My mom isn't getting home until tomorrow."

"Get your dad to sign you out!" I explained, "You and Seth can come to my house."

"Okay," he responded, dialing his dad.

After Daniel's father signed the papers and congratulated his son, we left for my house.

I was praying this would be okay, Seth and I were a little awkward.

He shot me a smile, and I was relieved. Seth loved me, I was his best friend. Things would be okay.

POV: Char

Zach bumped into me as he rushed through the halls, without so much as a 'sorry'.

-Something is definitely up-

I hurried after him, catching up quickly.

-Hey, I ran cross country-

I grabbed his shoulder, not so gently.

"What!" He whipped around to face me. His face read angry, but his eyes showed hurt.

"Zach, what happened?" I asked quietly.

He gave in, "Not here. My dorm."

I nodded and followed him, easily keeping up with his quick pace.

He flopped on his bed, "I saw Avalie kissing Seth." He growled into his comforter.

I gasped.

-How dare she? She knew I liked him, she had an amazing boyfriend, and she always swore they were nothing more than friends! That bitch! She hurt both me and Zach!-

"I can't believe she would cheat on you like that!" I was starting to shout.

"Oh really? I recall you doing the same damn thing, except worse." There was a bitter tone in his voice.

That was it, I couldn't take this anymore! I was tired of keeping this damn secret! Of people thinking I was a cheater.

"Zach, I didn't cheat on you."

He looked baffled, "I saw you-"

"I was raped." There! Just saying it aloud made me feel powerful. It was absolutely terrifying. I began to cry.

"Why didn't you ever tell me this?!" He was angry, "I would lay awake at night wondering why you chose Jeff over me! I loved you so much! You could have trusted me!!!"

"I couldn't tell you!" I wailed, "I couldn't tell anyone! He threatened me, he said I had to break up with you, or he would do it again! He said if I EVER told ANYONE, he would k-kill me!" I was choking on my tears, "I was so scared! And now I went and told you! If he finds out-"

"He won't," Zach whispered. "I'm so sorry you had to hide this. That fucking bastard! Gahhh! I wish we could do something!"

I trembled, "We can't!"

"Shhhh. I know," he hugged me.

I leaned into his strong form, "I've missed being friends Zach."

"Me too," he breathed so quietly, I could barely hear it.

We sat like that, too tired to move.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OMG!!!!! So now you know Char's secret!!!! Someone really needs to punish that asshole Jeff Collier!!!! So Zach really wasn't cheated on, but then he was! Agggh! Plus Char totally had Seth claimed. Everyone's questioning who they really belong with! What did you think? Was it a good way to start 2014? It was definitely interesting! Vote, comment, whatever! Love y'all!

-cc