Chapter I: A New Start

POV: Avalie

I was scared to start junior year in a town an hour away from where I used to live. Preston, Mississippi was so small that there were only about thirty kids per grade. Going to a private school in Jackson was definitely going to be different. In Preston, everyone knew each other. I hardly ever had to correct people on how to say my name. Ayyy-valee? Everyone would ask if they read it. Like the way you would pronounce 'day'.

The way you're supposed to say it is the way you would say cat or mat or apple. Avalie. Sometimes I wish I was just named something easy like Anna. I hate correcting people.

I guess I would have been more upset about moving if I had a lot of people here to be attached to. I used to have more friends my age, like Cara. We used to be best friends, but now we hardly ever talk. It didn't really bother me when we grew apart though, because I had Seth. Seth has been my best friend since forever, practically. Or he was. Before everything changed.

POV: Seth

I didn't know if I should tell Avalie goodbye before she left. It was weird to think that I actually had to question stuff like this now. Usually if we did fight it was over within a day. I have no idea why this fight was such a big deal. The whole thing is a long story.

~~~

This whole thing started on the last day of sophomore year. Avalie and I were planning on driving to Jackson just for some fun. Avalie, Cara, and I all used to be best friends, until Cara started ignoring us and stabbing Avalie in the back. So Avalie came out to find me so we could leave and she sorta kinda caught me making out with Cara. And she blew it way out of proportion.

"What are you doing???"

"You ready to go Avalie?" I said, blushing.

We started to walk towards Avalie's car.

"Why were you kissing that bitch?!" She demanded.

"I don't know why it's such a big deal! She's hot! And what happened with you two was so long ago! Why do you care who I like anyway? You never did before!"

"I don't care, unless you like Cara! You know I can't stand her!"

"Ok," I said, raising my voice, "so you get to be in charge of who I can date! Of course! God Avalie, what is your problem?"

"My problem?!" She was starting to shout. "You obviously don't get why this is different! She turned into a horrible person, and completely blew me off! She used to be my best friend! Now you're making our with her because you think she's HOT!"

We were driving now, but not towards Jackson. She pulled into my driveway.

"Get out."

"Avalie why are you reacting like this?" I didn't know what her deal was!

"Just leave!" She looked like she might cry.

I climbed out and slammed the car door. Her car tore away from my house. She didn't look back.

POV: Avalie

"10 more minutes," my mom said turning to me. "Are you nervous?"

"I dunno," I replied, thinking about Seth.

"Don't know. You pronounce it don't know. Not 'dunno'"

"K mom."

She sighed in an annoyed way. I knew how bad she wanted to say, its 'okay' not 'kay'. My mom was an English professor at our community college. She was always trying to get me to say everything the right way. Lisa Kathryn Wright always had to have everyone using the right grammar.

I stared out the window until a large building came into view. Jackson Preparatory Academy, the sign read. We drove past the school onto a dirt road leading to the dorms. You have dorm 3 my mom told me. She parked the car and we walked to the main building.

~~~

My mom hugged me goodbye and got into the car. I waved as she drove away. After she was gone I raced back to dorm 3. I was so excited to just start fresh, forget about the fact that my bestfriend and I now hated each other. The paper they gave me said I was in room 16, sharing with a girl named Charlotte. I knocked on the door and no one answered. When I opened it the room was empty. The two twin beds were a pale pink. I put my bags on the floor and laid down on the bed closest to the window. Before I knew it I was out cold.

I woke to someone shaking my arm.

"Wh-what?" I asked rubbing my eyes. I looked up at a pretty girl with straight blonde hair.

She smiled at me, "You must be my roommate!" She stuck out her hand, "I'm Charlotte! It's my second year here!"

She was so nice and accepting! This might be a lot easier than I thought! "I'm Avalie! I'm new here, I'm a junior!"

She gave me an even wider smile, "Same! And I love your hair!"

I blushed and pushed back my thick dark curls, "Thanks!"

"So what brings you here?"

"Well a lot of stuff happened last year, I lost my bestfriend Seth, and everything went downhill from there."

"All you need is some fun...how about a party tonight?" Charlotte gave me a sneaky smile.

"Charlotte that sounds so fun! Hell yeah we should go!"

"You got it! And call me Char!"

"Let me just unpack and put on a sexy outfit!"

"You're exactly the kinda girl we need at this school! Can't wait Av!"

~~~

I walked into the party wearing a red crop top, black hi-lo skirt and...drumroll please...my leather jacket! My hair was full and bouncy. Char on the other hand looked sleek and beautiful. Her hair was long and shiny, floating behind her. She wore a cute purple top and skinny jeans, and wedges.

"Thanks again for letting me borrow your shoes!" I shouted over the music. I wore Char's classic blue suede pumps. She said that since I was only 5'3" I could use some heels. My mom had never let me go higher than 2 inches. These were almost 5!!! Eeeee!!

"No prob! You look fantastic! You want a drink?"

"I think I'm good..."

"Relax, it's sparkling cider!"

"Oh, ok then!" As we were dancing I spotted maybe the cutest guy at the party! He had dirty blonde hair and a sexy face. His jeans fit his cute butt perfectly. I told Char I'd see her later and started dancing toward Mr. Cute Butt.

POV: Seth

Cara was kissing me, and she was hot and all, but I wasn't feeling it. I started to pull away.

"What?!" she demanded.

"Um nothing babe, but I've got stuff to do...I think you should go."

"Fine!!!" Cara grabbed her coat and stormed out.

I put my head in my hands. Hell, I couldn't focus on Cara because I kept thinking about Avalie. I swear we never liked each other like that, but I missed her. And I hated to admit it, but she was right. Cara being hot didn't make up for the truth.

Cara is a bitch. She was bossy and demanding. she could be clingy and needy. I mean sure people respect me for it, and it helps my rep. But I can't stand the girl. And she's not Avalie. I dot know why but that is really getting to me. I wanna see her, but what if she hates me. I don't know what to say to her.

..............................................................

What do you think of the characters? Are you going to keep reading? I promise it will get better. :)

-cc