Chapter XXI: More Than That

POV: Seth

I'm honestly not quite sure what compelled me to send Char that needy text. I just needed to talk to someone. Normally I would turn to Avalie in these situations, but I knew she had it just as bad, if not worse. I mean at least my mom wasn't pregnant! I was scared of what she would say, I mean why would she bother driving down here to see me. Avalie said she was spending the weekend at her parents house. That was an hour from Preston and two hours from her school.

I was instantly nervous when my phone buzzed with her response.

-Would she ask questions? Would she laugh at me? Refuse to come?

Damn it! Just open it already-

C: IM COMING

No questions, no laughing. Just a straight answer, I loved her.

-Whoa, hold up! You love her?-

I blushed even though no one was there. When I had thought that, I meant for just coming. I didn't love her, I still barely knew her!

-Then why did you ask her to come?-

Damn I hate it when that little voice is smarter than me.

I walked downstairs to pass the time before Char came. My mother was standing in the kitchen furiously stirring something in a bowl. The food had been piling up since she had heard the news.

Avalie had told me her mom was like a zombie, an it hadn't even been a day yet. She had just sat numbly on the couch watching TV. It was a different kind of dealing, just ignoring the pain. Going numb.

My mom was the opposite. When something upset her, she cooked or cleaned herself to insanity. Bad day at work, floor scrubbed and a gourmet meal. I remember when my grandpa died, we had leftovers for a month after she was done on the crazy cooking train. Not to mention you couldn't find a speck of dust in our house for that whole period of time.

I headed towards her. Her hands were irritated and red, the veins stood out. "Mom," I took her elbow. "You have to stop this."

"Seth, it's okay." She was trying to keep a strong expression, but I could see through it.

"It's not. But the important thing is, he's gone. Out of our lives." I had never been close to my father past about age nine. He got busy, and it was always my mother and I, on our own.

"But what about you? Seth I sell food, that isn't going to support us! How are we going to do this?" Her face was full of worry.

This was what she was so upset about? Supporting me? I felt some of the worry melt off, like water off the tip of an iceberg, "He'll send child support, he better at least. And I could get a job."

My mom shook her head, "No I'm not making you do that!"

"Relax, I need to anyway. It's no big deal!"

"But-"

"We aren't arguing this."

She sighed in defeat, but I could tell she was grateful.

A stroke of genius hit me, "Mom you know how much you love piano right? What if you taught piano lessons! Fifteen or twenty dollars a lesson, we'd be set!"

Her face lit up, "Seth you're so smart! I would love doing that!"

"It's a plan then! Post it on Facebook, spread the word."

She smiled and kissed my cheek, "Now shoo!"

"Okay, and Char's coming over in an hour or so, that okay?"

"Sure, sure, whatever!"

I was glad my mom seemed to be cheering up a little. She wasn't taking this as hard as I thought she would. My mom was a strong woman, it took a lot to phase her.

I settled on the couch and turned on some random football game.

POV: Char

Seth was at the door seconds after I rang the doorbell, "Hey," I breathed. I had to admit that he looked really cute, sort of tousled. His sweatpants clung loosely to his hips.

-Gahhh stahhhp it! You're here to be a supportive friend, not check him out!-

My conscience was right, I was being a creep!

He smiled, "Let's head up to my room."

Surprisingly, it smelled good in his room, as in really good. Something along the lines of laundry detergent, spicy cologne, and sporty smelling. Not gross sweaty, sporty, just grassy and fresh...maybe from soccer?

-Jeez Char, stop over thinking this!-

"So Seth, what did you need me for?" I smiled at him warmly.

"Honestly, just someone to talk to. I mean my dad is a dickhead and a cheater. Now I need to get a job and my mom is going to start another one. We just have to hope the divorce arrangement includes child support. But I'm not going to be a kid for much longer so who knows? Having it all dumped on me this morning was hard." Tears were in the corners of his dark blue eyes.

I wrapped him into a hug, "It will be okay, I promise. Life has a funny way of working itself out."

He told me more, crying a little. I started to cry, just from watching him.

"You're amazing," he murmured.

I was taken by surprise. "What?"

"Char, you always know what to say. You're caring and sweet. You make me feel so much better, I feel so lucky that I met you. And you know what, I like you. REALLY like you. More than just a friend. Today showed me that. I know this might be hard, but will you be my girlfriend?"

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

He likes her! Awwww! How the tables have turned! They're both so sweet! Im so so so so so so so sorry that it took me forever to update! I've been busy! But I'm hoping to write tomorrow and update tomorrow or Thursday! I hope you liked it!

-cc