Chapter VII: Don't Worry

POV: Avalie

Daniel hadn't been speaking to anyone. When his mother had finally arrived yesterday, she hugged him tightly, not wanting to let go. He just sat there, frozen like a statue. Not daring to move, or eat, or process what had happened.

It was now Sunday, Char and I were leaving after lunch since we both had some homework to do. Seth had seemed afraid to talk to Daniel at all. It wasn't his fault though, no one was blaming him. "Don't worry Seth," I whispered with Char sitting next to me. "We'll come up every weekend that we can and all three of us are going to help him recover."

Seth smiled at me weakly, then glanced at Daniel. He was laying sullenly in a bed on the other side of the room. His sandy hair was slightly shaggy looking and he needed to shave. He looked so broken, I stood up and went to sit by him. Daniel turned his head away from me. "Hey Daniel, you want to talk."

There was a long pause, and the silence was deafening. After a deep breath, he spoke, "You know I don't know what the point is. I'm going to be stuck like this. They tried to tell me I was lucky. That when I hit my spine on that armrest, I could've been completely paralyzed. But I don't feel lucky, I feel like shit. No matter what, I can't feel THANKFUL for this. I'd be better off dead."

"I hope you know I'm fighting the urge to smack your sorry self! I know his sucks, it sucks ass. But you aren't what's on the outside. You don't need a working body to live through your heart. Still, we are going to do everything to overcome this." I hugged him. "It's ok to be scared."

"Thanks Avalie. I should know your always right." He just barely smiled, there was still hope. I could feel it.

Char came towards me, "Avalie, we should probably get going now if we want to stop by your house."

I nodded, "Let's go. Bye guys!" I blew them a kiss.

~~~

After introducing Char to my mom, I told her what had happened.

My mother looked absolutely shocked, "That's horrible, what happened! I'll have to go in and see them."

"You definitely should! Is dad home?" I questioned.

"No," she sighed. "Work."

I frowned, "I wish we could stay longer, next week we'll spend the night." We had slept at the hospital after everything that had happened. I hadn't had a chance to tell my mom the details until today.

After giving Char a quick tour and a late lunch, it was time to go.

~~~

As we were walking back to the dorms a guy stopped us. "Hello ladies, having a nice walk."

Char seemed to shrink into herself, something I had never seen we do before. I spoke up since it was obvious she wasn't going to, "We're just going back to he dorms."

"Nice, I'll have to come to your dorms sometime."

"Um ok." We walked away quickly. even thought he was really cute, there was something...off about him. "Who was that?" I asked Char.

"Jeff Collier. He's a sleaze bag." She sounded unnaturally angry. Her hands were clenched in fists and her breathing was a little strange. I just nodded, not wanting to push her.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{

Not my best chapter! But why does Char seem to hate this guy so much?

-cc