Chapter XXXV: Wiping Away Tears

POV: Zach

I had already lost Char after getting just a glimpse of what I had been wanting all along. What was wrong with me? I wanted Char, I needed her. Before she had gotten angry, the day had been so perfect. Being with Char was perfect.

I decided to go to the one person who might have some idea of what to do; my sister.

Sage was a sophomore, a year younger than me. She went to a public school in our area, instead of Jackson Prep. I went there because it had a better sports program.

When I came into her room, she was wrapped up in the covers of her bed. Her chin length, reddish blonde hair, was sticking up in ten different places. She sighed, "What do you want Zach?"

"I can't talk to my dear sister?"

She sat up. Her crumpled t-shirt read 'Screw You'. That was Sage for you, she was kind of the hard to handle kid in my family. My parents could never really control her. Lots of guys had always been after Sage, she never acknowledged them. Truthfully Sage was a badass, but she always knew exactly what she was talking about. "Well, what do you want?"

"So you know Char?"

"Of course I know Char, you dated her dipshit," she glared at me.

"What crawled up your ass?" I said shoving her.

"I just don't feel like talking!" She growled.

"When do you ever?"

"Shut it."

"So anyway, I like her again Sage. A lot. And we hung out last week, it was perfect. Until the end, she got really mad for no real reason! I think I ruined it, and I can't have that!" The more I talked about it, the more worried I got.

"Okay baby Zach, calm your tits. You wan Char? You have to go and fucking get her! Don't cry to me about it! Go outside, get in the car, and tell her what you're telling me! Be sweet, loving, all that shit, and make it up to her. That's what you do! Don't take no for an answer, and don't let her push you away!" She finished and flopped back down on the bed.

"You're right Queen Sage! Thanks!" I wrapped her in a big bear hug.

"Get off me you giant! You smell like guy!"

I chuckled and left the room, satisfied with the advice that Sage had given me. I hate to admit it, but my sister might be one of the smartest people I knew.

-Like you would ever tell her that.

You got that right!-

I grabbed the bag of dove chocolates in our kitchen before leaving to go to Char's. I would hear about this from my mom later, but it wouldn't matter if Char gave me another chance.

I was anxious through the whole half hour drive. I saw Char watching me through her attic window when I pulled up. Her small face disappeared as I parked the car.

-You better hope she talks to you.-

I slowly walked to the front door, but the door was opened before I could ring the bell.

"Zach," she breathed. She didn't look angry or annoyed, just kind of sad.

"Char, I'm sorry I said-upset you the other-before," I couldn't utter a coherent sentence for my life.

"Come upstairs Zach, we can talk."

I didn't know what the hell to make of that, but I was grateful that she didn't tell me to leave.

For the record, Char's room smelled amazing. It was like this overwhelming scent of her. I was really loving it. I pulled the bag of chocolate out of my pocket, "Here I brought these for you."

She gave me a small smile, "My favorite." She popped one into her mouth, and I couldn't help but stare at her perfect lips as she did.

"Char the reason I came was because of the way things turned out last time. The day was so perfect, and then it just...wasn't."

"And that was all my fault. I had a lot on my mind. I felt a little betrayed by Avalie and then I was afraid you were taking her side. So I blew things way out of proportion, the same way I did it to Avalie. I'm not mad at you Zach, I'm mad at my life." She stared sadly at the wall.

I wrapped my arms around her, "It's good to hear you say that. The 'I'm not mad' part anyway. But why are you angry at yourself?" I could feel the tenseness in the air weighing down on me. Char was about to make a confession;

"It's my brother."

"Tommy?" I asked fearfully. I had sort of mocked him last time. Now I was regretting it.

"No, Mike." Little tears dotted the corners of her eyes. They were teetering on the edge, daring to spill over. "He's in rehab right now for alcohol and pot. It's so stupid! I spent so much of my life resenting him, and being jealous. Now that this happened I can't believe myself! He's my brother and I can't have anything happen to him. I'm so scared." Those last words came out as a whisper.

I didn't know what to say. It made sense why she gotten so upset. She had so much to deal with right now. "Char I had no idea. Don't worry though, they'll help him."

"But Zach," the tears were falling now. "He doesn't want to live! He told me that his life wasn't worth living anymore! What do you do when someone you love hates themself so much that they don't even want to live anymore? I can't change his mind, and that's the scariest thing!"

I held her in my arms now. I was her source of comfort, "Shhhh. You just have to be there for him, that alone is enough. You're doing everything to help him, you made your decisions. He has to make his own." I placed my lips on Char's forehead as she cried. I wiped off every tear she cried and held her until she was all cried out.

I watched Char in my lap, her eyes were now closed. Right before she drifted of to sleep she whispered, "I love you." It was barely audible, but I heard it.

The words I wanted to hear all along. "I love you too, Charlotte," but she was already asleep. As I stared down at this beautiful girl, I knew I would have to do whatever I could to keep her happy.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Awwwww I really love this chapter! It was fun to write! I love Zach and Char together! Are you happy she told Zach? So what did you think of Zach's sister? I really like Sage, I feel like she's different from my other characters! I don't know, I like it! I'm really hoping to get to 2k reads! That would be absolutely amazing! This book should be ending soon-ish. I'm not totally sure! Please vote and comment! It means a lot!

-cc