Chapter 39. T-Thanks

Start from the beginning

"Leave . . . Them . . . Alone." I said between the deep breaths I was taking. This is the first time I had an attack. He gave me a weird look as I calmed myself down by taking deep breaths. The fact that Jeff is here and not on his way to murder my family actually helped.

"So are you gonna tell me?" He grinned as if knowing that I'd agree.

Of course, he's a heartless killer. He definitely want things to go his way, I don't really have a choice at all.

Unless . . . I lie to him.

I averted my gaze and nervously told him a fake address, I hope it's convincing enough. Not a hint of emotion was found on his face when he eyed me, he stepped closer and closer as if studying me, making me uneasy with every step he took.

He stopped and chuckled, "You know what I hate?" he took his knife out from his hoodie, " . . .Liars." He gave me a sharp glare, "Looks like you don't want to be cooperative on this one so let's just end it, starting with your family." He turned around and angrily walked towards the guest room with a firm grip on the knife.

Why the hell did things turn out this way!?

I ran after him and once again held onto his hoodie to stop him, ignoring the nauseating smell of the blood. Panicked, I unknowingly shouted the real addresses of Kathleen and her parents. Shit.

I let go of his hoodie when he turned around to face me. Again, he stared and studied me before breaking into a smile, "Good girl." He patted my head which made me shudder in disgust, just the thought of him makes me sick, much worse when he touches me. "Well, a deal is a deal . . ." He muttered as he made his way to the back door, "I'll see you soon . . . Very soon . . ." He gave me one last twisted look before slamming the door shut really loud.

I angrily stomped all the way to the living room and pressed my face in the pillow, I let out all the anger and hate I felt by shouting at the pitiful pillow with my face buried on it.

I pulled on my hair in frustration. Why can't I just do something right!? I just want my family to be safe! God, why are you punishing me? What the hell did I ever do to you!?

I started crying uncontrollably. Once again, I failed to keep them safe, now Jeff knows where they are and can easily take their lives whenever he pleases.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, I snapped my head towards the person in surprise. It's Kathleen.

She sat beside me and hugged me, "There, there . . ." She cooed.

"Kathleen . . ." I said through gritted teeth, "I'm so sorry!" I sobbed louder, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry . . ." I kept repeating the words to her.

"Shh . . . It's not your fault . . ." She patted my back while hugging me, "It was Kevin's time . . . We can't stop that."

"No, you don't understand! I-" I stopped myself, I can't tell her. I can't tell any of them, that just means putting them in more danger! Oh God, I don't know what to do anymore.

"It's okay . . ." Kathleen assured, making me cry harder.

I'm such an idiot. I should be the one comforting them, not the other way around. This whole thing started because of me yet I can't even fix it.

I'm worthless.

。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。

I slowly opened my eyes and was greeted by a blurry sight. Tch, I cried my eyes out. Again.

I ended up making Kathleen stay up too late, I really should pull myself together, especially while they're still in the house because I'll end up making them depressed as well.