» Chapter Forty-Two «

Kestrelfur peeked put of the nursery as noise filled the camp. They were all crowded around Crowpelt, the new deputy of  CloudClan. Duskstar was by his side, looking proud of his new deputy.

      It had only been a few sunrises since Kestrelfur had been moved to the nursery as her kitting was drawing near. Cherrynose had indeed confirmed that she was going to have three kits.

      Kestrelfur felt a little excited for kitting, but there was still an emptiness inside her.

      She padded back into the nursery. A small white kit squirmed as she slept under Frostfire's fur. Frostfire had kitted only a few days ago. The kit would open her eyes soon.

      Meanwhile, Pikekit and Chestnutkit were playing outside the nursery. It's easier to care for them now because they're able to eat solid food.

      Chestnutkit continues to look more and more like Morningleaf as the days go by. Looking at her gives Kestrelfur a little wince of pain, but she has discovered that her personality is nothing like Morningleaf's. She's curious, adventurous, and outgoing. She even tried to sneak out of camp once!

      Her brother is calmer, more practical. He's surprisingly smart and clever, and he seems to have a gift for being very perceptive.

      The one thing the two littermates have in common is that they are always wanting to know more. They have an endless amount of questions and a thirst for knowledge. Kestrelfur wasn't sure which side it came from, Morningleaf's or Crookedtail's, but it didn't matter. They're not their parents. They're a whole new adventure.

      Kestrelfur padded out of the nursery, heading off towards the forest. She didn't like the nursery's closed in walls. It reminded her of her kithood with Morningleaf and made it harder to get over the grief. Every day she has been sneaking away and going out into the forest. At first it made her clanmates nervous, but they eventually got used to it.

      Dewdrops sparkled from the leaves and the trees. When they fell, they glowed in the morning sun.

      Kestrelfur wasn't sure where she was going, she was just walking, taking random turns. Leaves crunched under her paws, but she barely noticed.

      Eventually, she found herself facing open land. The unclaimed territory, where the Star Tree and the Moonboulders lie.

      She remembered the last time she had faced this territory. She had stood exactly where she was standing now, claws unsheathed, wondering what would happen once she reached StarClan. The words, I hope StarClan will forgive me for this, had passed through her head.

      Then Badgermask had appeared and stopped her from making a fatal mistake. Now Kestrelfur was glad she had been stopped. Suicide no longer sounded like a pleasant death.

      Something cold hit her nose. It seemed like a raindrop, but softer. She looked up and realized flakes of white were falling from the sky, cold and wet. Snow. The first snow of leaf-bare.

      It was unexpected, as it rarely snowed. The elders had been old enough to remember a snow from when they were younger, but it hadn't snowed again since. Now it was snowing again.

      Kestrelfur smiled. She stuck her tongue out and felt a snowflake hit her tongue, melting into water upon contact. She knew snow was bad for the clan, making it harder to hunt, but she liked the snow. Like a kit she started playing, running through the snow, having fun.

A/N::

This is the second to last chapter. I have decided that the next chapter will be the last chapter (when she finally has her kits!).

In case you're wondering why it doesn't snow, they probably live where it doesn't snow every leaf-bare/winter. Maybe Texas (that's where I live) because it doesn't snow every winter there.

And yes, this was a very short chapter.

//Edited